My Employer Problem

Debra Clarke

Jurisdiction
California
Hi, everyone--

I don't know if anyone can help me. Not even my union will do anything for me. I am really tired of telling my story with no results. Anyway, I was put on paid administrative leave on November 3, 2017, and I don't know why. No one will tell me anything. I can only talk to one lady from administration, and even SHE won't tell me anything. I work at a small charter school in Placer County, Roseville, California called the Roseville Learning Center as an Instructional Aide, and I can't go on any of the company's (Horizon Charter Schools) properities, I can't go on their website, I can't use their Outlook email, and I can't talk to any of the employees, students, or parents. I had to turn in my badges, my employee laptop, the book I was lent by the principal to help me help the challenging Special Education students, and the key to the classroom doors. I have no idea what I did to deserve this and to be treated like a criminal. Can ANYONE help me with my case? I haven't been fired yet, but why are they investigating me, and why won't anyone help me?

I'm sure you realize that no one here has any idea why you are being investigated.

I'm sorry, I know it's frustrating, but there is no law you can invoke that will force them to tell you why you are being investigated. Depending on what the reason is, telling you might be counter-indicated to the investigation.

Eventually it will all be made known to you. Fortunately it is paid leave while you wait.

Nothing you write indicates you are being treated unfairly or improperly. Try to be patient. Do yourself a favor and start looking for new employment just in case, but hopefully you won't need it.

I haven't been fired yet, but why are they investigating me, and why won't anyone help me?

They will either call you back to work or fire you. There's nothing you can do about anything until then.

If you get fired you will learn the reason with the termination letter or when you file for unemployment which you should do immediately upon getting fired.

Meantime, you're being paid to not work.

Stop kvetching and relax.

They will either call you back to work or fire you. There's nothing you can do about anything until then.

If you get fired you will learn the reason with the termination letter or when you file for unemployment which you should do immediately upon getting fired.

Meantime, you're being paid to not work.

Stop kvetching and relax.
Hey, everyone--Your unkind replies didn't make me feel any better. One moment I think everything is okay at work, then all of a sudden I'm told to go to the main office jusy to find out I'm being investigated. My God! I feel like I've murdered somebody or something. They should've gone on ahead and fired me because I had to turn in everything that this company gave me to use. What was I supposed to think? Oh, I'm thrilled that I'm being investigated. This principal has wanted me out of there since I stsrted working there, and she's getting her wish. I hope you are all happy and that she is, too. This is ridiculous, and I AM looking for another job. I have been humiliated enough by this comany. I want out!

You can wait for their investigation to be completed.
If you don't like that idea, you are free to resign immediately.
You can talk to a couple of local lawyers about the matter.
A lawyer in your county might have better news to give you.
In the meantime, wrack your brain, try to remember (if you can) if anything was odd or peculiar.

These days with all the lies about sexual assault, and the truth about sexual assault, maybe someone lied about you.

I know less than you do.

That's why I suggested you think as hard as you can, you might recall something that'll help you.

Even if you do, there's little you can do until the school makes things known to you.

I see nothing unkind in any of the replies you received, although I admit Jack's could have been phrased more tactfully.

Tell me, what information did you think a message board would be able to provide?

You can wait for their investigation to be completed.
If you don't like that idea, you are free to resign immediately.
You can talk to a couple of local lawyers about the matter.
A lawyer in your county might have better news to give you.
In the meantime, wrack your brain, try to remember (if you can) if anything was odd or peculiar.

These days with all the lies about sexual assault, and the truth about sexual assault, maybe someone lied about you.

I know less than you do.

That's why I suggested you think as hard as you can, you might recall something that'll help you.

Even if you do, there's little you can do until the school makes things known to you.

I can't think of anything I did to deserve this treatment. I've "wracked my brain" (and, yes I can, smartass!), and there is nothing I have done to be a danger, detriment, or problem to my place of work for them to put me on paid administrative leave. Like I said, that principal is s 30-year-old punk with no prior experience as a principal, and she has wanted me out of there since I started there, and she's finally getting her way. I love my job, but I don't like my boss at all.

I see nothing unkind in any of the replies you received, although I admit Jack's could have been phrased more tactfully.

Tell me, what information did you think a message board would be able to provide?
Less nastiness fromthe people who are replying. They need to ghink with their brains instead of being so smartallic with their answers. People are SO nasty anymore, and there's no need for it. I really need smart answers because this has never happened to me before in my life.

But what kind of information do you expect us to have? How are you expecting us to know why you were put on leave? What can strangers on the Internet know about it that you do not?

As for any laws that can help you, there aren't any. No laws are being violated by the employer, and there is no law you can invoke that will force them to tell you why you are under investigation. If it were an unpaid leave I'd tell you to file for unemployment, because they'd have to give at least some information to the UI office. But since it's a paid leave that's not going to work. No one is being nasty to you but we simply don't have the answers you want.

But what kind of information do you expect us to have? How are you expecting us to know why you were put on leave? What can strangers on the Internet know about it that you do not?

As for any laws that can help you, there aren't any. No laws are being violated by the employer, and there is no law you can invoke that will force them to tell you why you are under investigation. If it were an unpaid leave I'd tell you to file for unemployment, because they'd have to give at least some information to the UI office. But since it's a paid leave that's not going to work. No one is being nasty to you but we simply don't have the answers you want.

Back