My 15 year old is pregnant

Ladonna

Jurisdiction
Ohio
So my 15 year old daughter came to me a couple days ago and told me she was pregnant. I was devastated, hurt,confused. As i have explained the birds and bees. All the possible outcomes and what we can do if she decides to become sexually active. But here we are and i have so many questions/concerns. First can i be charged for my daughter not being of legal consent and not having any ideal she was sexually active? She does not and will not consider abortion or adoption but has asked me to take rights for the child when he/she is born. When asked who the father of baby was she only knew first name nothing i mean nothing else. I know she made a choice in having unprotected sex and now she has to deal with the outcome. But as a mother and her mother i will help and be by herside and do what i can. Would i be able to have parental rights to my grandchild and what would i need to do in order to do so.

First can i be charged for my daughter not being of legal consent and not having any ideal she was sexually active?

No. You know now. Do what you need to to take care of her.

...but has asked me to take rights for the child when he/she is born.

It doesn't work quite like that, but you can certainly have a significant role. She has plenty of time to consider adoption. At her age it may be best for everyone.

When asked who the father of baby was she only knew first name nothing i mean nothing else.

She likely knows more and wants to protect him. At some point a doctor, social worker, or someone else will rrepor her pregnancy to law enforcement and there will be questions to answer. If she truly only knows name and approximate age she may be able to identify him in local school yearbooks. She needs to come clean on this. Identifying the father will help learn family medical history for the child and to obtain support.

Would i be able to have parental rights to my grandchild and what would i need to do in order to do so.

Look into obtaining legal guardianship.
At some point your daughter will have to speak to law enforcement. Prepare her for that and encourage her to cooperate.
Contact social services. They will help to identify various services to help her (and you), including counseling.

At 15 and she doesn't know the father?? really.... How many guys has she been sleeping with at such a young age. I would find out who, what and where. There could be more to this.

She doesn't get to choose who cares for child if she chooses not to. You are legally obligated to care for your child NOT one shes is carrying. No nothing can happen to you unless you consented and/or knew to unlawful sex which you did not. Expect children's services to have questions as well far beyond just the Father;s first name. I agree she likely knows more but is trying to protect him. For any non legal questions you may have try the forum below. Its a parenting forum manned by other parents no agendas or sales. Its hosted by this site (Thelaw.com) your on now. There you can talk to others who have likely been through similar situations. No one there will be allowed to judge you or her there

Parent Nook Forums - Index page

So my 15 year old daughter came to me a couple days ago and told me she was pregnant.

Let's start with an obvious question: How do you and she know that she's pregnant. Has she been to a doctor who has confirmed the pregnancy?

First can i be charged for my daughter not being of legal consent and not having any ideal she was sexually active?

Huh? Your 15 year old daughter tells you she's pregnant and your first concern is whether you "can be charged" (with a crime, I guess)? Really? In any even, no, you did not commit a crime by her having sex and getting pregnant.

She does not and will not consider abortion or adoption but has asked me to take rights for the child when he/she is born.

What does "take rights for the child" mean?

When asked who the father of baby was she only knew first name nothing i mean nothing else.

She obviously knows more than that. Where/how did she meet him?

Would i be able to have parental rights to my grandchild and what would i need to do in order to do so.

Yes. You would need to adopt the child. Otherwise, no.

So my 15 year old daughter came to me a couple days ago and told me she was pregnant. I was devastated, hurt,confused. As i have explained the birds and bees. All the possible outcomes and what we can do if she decides to become sexually active. But here we are and i have so many questions/concerns. First can i be charged for my daughter not being of legal consent and not having any ideal she was sexually active? She does not and will not consider abortion or adoption but has asked me to take rights for the child when he/she is born. When asked who the father of baby was she only knew first name nothing i mean nothing else. I know she made a choice in having unprotected sex and now she has to deal with the outcome. But as a mother and her mother i will help and be by herside and do what i can. Would i be able to have parental rights to my grandchild and what would i need to do in order to do so.

Why would you get charged for your daughter having sex underage? No - the person who had sex with her - if over the age of 18 - could be charged with statutory rape. If under 18 nothing will probably happen to them.

That pregnancy is her choice - so you have no say in it. If she doesn't want an abortion, you can't make her. If she doesn't want to give it up for adoption, she doesn't have to. If she does change her mind, then she can do those things. It's up to her. If she's asking you to take guardianship - that's probably something you need to talk to a lawyer about. If she wants you to have parental rights - that would be adoption.

You will not have parental rights to any children that are not biologically yours unless a judge grants you parental rights. If your daughter wants you to adopt her child, she needs to talk to a lawyer because adoption isn't a DIY thing. But she could always change her mind on all of it. Never know. Until there is an actual child born, there's not much you can do except take care of your daughter.

At 15 and she doesn't know the father?? really.... How many guys has she been sleeping with at such a young age. I would find out who, what and where. There could be more to this.

My ex husband's oldest son was the result of a one night stand. He was 19, she was 17. Two hours in a hot tub...he didn't know she got pregnant til the kid was 2 months old. She thought it was some other guy's until she had a DNA test. Then she found out who he was and got ahold of him - everyone knew that kid was his even without the DNA test they did.

It's also quite possible this could be the first guy she slept with and didn't get to know him and does only know his first name. Or she has a lot of partners...who knows?

Back