Multiple pre-trial issues in annual account objection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenowitz

Much obliged for help/insight with any of the questions below. If it's not a breach of the rules here, message me and I will compensate you. (If it is, I apologize and please disregard.)

Case: Guardianship/conservatorship of elder (my grandmother.)
Action: My objection to first annual account, based on apparent accounting errors, etc.
Appointed G/C is a non-professional.

My attorney withdrew 2 weeks ago, and the discovery/motion cutoffs end tomorrow.
Trial is in 2 weeks.
I've been looking for replacement elder law counsel but haven't found anyone yet.
I moved for a continuance but didn't get it.

The other side issued a deposition, rogs, and doc reqs 29 days ago, but I haven't gotten to it. They are threatening to move to dismiss unless I comply. They don't have time to compel but should I try to comply tomorrow anyway? What's to stop them from moving for dismissal regardless?

Before my attorney departed: We found some fiduciary issues that should be addressed, but they fall short of the cost-benefit ratio of trial (as I understand it.) We drafted a rough settlement proposal that needs a little work yet.
I've tried informally to get some remaining discovery from the other side, but they of course are declining to provide it.

I hate to drop my objections and lose oversight but I can't let this go to trial, where the other side will just rack up fees for myself and the ward in defending the conservator.
Should I still try settling first, or are they going to blow me off without counsel, hoping for an easy win at trial?
Should I try for affirmative relief if I'm going to have to drop the case anyway without counsel?
Could I move the court to order mediation (in lieu of trial), and try to get concessions that way?
If I drop my objections now, can I revisit any current financial issues later? Like at the 2nd annual account hearing?
I realize I need a lawyer but none of the local elder law attorneys are available/willing. Is there a related practice area that could help with this?

Thank you.

The lawyer left because your Case was weak or
Impossible to win.
If you can't find another lawyer, yes, it's time to walk away or settle.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Why don't you tell us what is going on. I would possibly consider dismissal or request a continuance while you seek new council.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back