moving out before 18 in georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolColon

I understand that in Georgia when you are 17 you can be tried as an adult, therefor i was wondering if it is now legal to move out at 17.

I understand that in Georgia when you are 17 you can be tried as an adult, therefor i was wondering if it is now legal to move out at 17.

You are confusing apples with tomatoes.

The only thing an apple has in common with a tomato is their red color.

You become an adult in all 50 states at age 18.

However, in many states, a 17 year old is normally charged as an adult when accused of a crime.

In most states it is not a crime to runaway from home.

It is something akin to a crime to "runaway from home" in 9 states (Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wyoming).

Five states allow police to hold ALL runaway youth in secure detention facilities until their parental units retrieve them, or the matter has been adjudicated before a court of law (juvenile court in most cases).

Those states are: Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Nevada, South Carolina.

In your state, Georgia, leaving home without your mother's, father's, or guardian's permission is considered a "status offense".

This means it is against the law to absent yourself (without parental or guardian permission) from your domicile as a minor.

A minor is anyone under the age of majority, which is 18 years old in all US States.

This website lists agencies that try to assist minors with issues and their living conditions:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/fysb/grants/georgia-rhy

Last edited:
Very minor correction: There is no state in the US where a minor reaches their majority at an age younger than 18. There are a few states where it is older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back