moving abroad, what is needed for my company

makingthemove

I'm considering moving to the Philippines and continuing to work via computer (telecommuting).

I will still be an American citizen and pay my US taxes. Not positive how state taxes will work, as I wont be a resident of any state. I will enter the Philippines on a 13A visa.

Are there any issues that my company will need to address with taxes, business laws or anything else to remain 100% compliant?

Since I'm working for a US company doing work for them in the US and not conducting any business whatsoever in the Philippines, will I encounter any issues?

Would I need to transfer from a "regular" employee to a contractor working on a 1099?

Are there any issues with a contractor working abroad?

Thanks

You do not need to become a contractor, though it is possible your remote position may qualify as such and thus be handled as such by your employer.

Is there any laws that would force them make me a contractor?

My personal situation I will handle, just worried about the company.

It's a very small company any neither of us have c any experience in the overseas workplace.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Is there any laws that would force them make me a contractor?

My personal situation I will handle, just worried about the company.

It's a very small company any neither of us have c any experience in the overseas workplace.

You might want to vet the company you'll be working for in the PI.
There are many scams all over this planet.
Be very careful before doing something you regret.

You might want to vet the company you'll be working for in the PI.
There are many scams all over this planet.
Be very careful before doing something you regret.
No no no

I'm working for my company. I been here 21 years now. Just going to be working from the Philippines.

No no no

I'm working for my company. I been here 21 years now. Just going to be working from the Philippines.

I don't care if you apologize.
In fact, I didn't seek your apology.
If its your company, good luck.

I bought a home in Belize some months ago, and will be soon emigrating from the US.
I retired several years ago, occasionally do some light legal consulting, and defend an accused here and there, mostly pro bono.
We still own a working cattle ranch here in Texas.
Lately we're giving serious thought to renouncing our US citizenship.

The PI is a good as most places on this little planet these days, especially if you control a couple quid.
We considered it, but after we did our evaluations, the pI came up number 9 on our list.
If its number uno for you, great.
If you can do your work remotely, you need not be tethered to a desk in the US.

In fact, there are several places on this planet that where people gather to do exactly what you're contemplating.

The HuffPo has done several stories on it.

Read these articles if you wish:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/working-remotely/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidst...does-the-research-prove-it-wont-work-for-you/

There is no law that would require you be a consultant/independent contractor. I have worked in the international sector for years and had both scenarios; employees and contractors. I even had both in the Philippines. Let your company handle their end of the logistics and finances.

There is no law that would require you be a consultant/independent contractor. I have worked in the international sector for years and had both scenarios; employees and contractors. I even had both in the Philippines. Let your company handle their end of the logistics and finances.
That's kind of my issue. They believe they are going to have to jump b through a few hoops to keep me employed and think it would be better for them if I was a contractor. Since the move is strictly my doing, they don't want to open themselves up for any potential problems.

Hiring a contractor is easier and more straightforward. It isn't that the law prevents them from keeping you an employee but being an employee does add hoops for the employer. If you qualify as a contractor, that is the easiest way to go about it.

Hiring a contractor is easier and more straightforward. It isn't that the law prevents them from keeping you an employee but being an employee does add hoops for the employer. If you qualify as a contractor, that is the easiest way to go about it.
Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.

You may have issues with checks and getting paid. I haven't had an employee based there since 2004, and the most recent was a TCN, but transferring funds to an overseas account, or cashing a check in another country can prove problematic. Post Patriot Act this got even more challenging and presumably many of those issues have been worked out in the past decade or so, but you do want to be mindful of the logistics of collecting an American paycheck (whether employee or contractor). Exchange rates are also a factor, but one you will have to live with.

Back