Mother struck a bicyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam2014

My mother crested a hill yesterday and stuck a woman on her bike. The police told my mother the accident was not her fault since she was cresting a hill and the lady was on the road. It's a small hill with a rather sharp crest and my mother did not see her until the impact. They were traveling in the same direction.

Unfortunately, the woman is in serious condition and my mother is absolutely sick about it.

I have my mother on my insurance policy and the insurance company told us today they will let us know if the medical bills surpass our coverage. Even though the police stated my mother is not at fault on the report, can they come after us for expenses surpassing our coverage?

Feel selfish for asking this as the most important thing is for the woman to fully recover. Our stomachs are in knots over this.

Insurance liability and criminal charges are two separate issues. Your/your mother's insurance would be liable even if the police do not feel she was criminally negligent or intentionally caused the accident. Yes, you could be liable for costs in excess of the insurance policy limits.

My mother crested a hill yesterday and stuck a woman on her bike. The police told my mother the accident was not her fault since she was cresting a hill and the lady was on the road. It's a small hill with a rather sharp crest and my mother did not see her until the impact. They were traveling in the same direction.

Unfortunately, the woman is in serious condition and my mother is absolutely sick about it.

I have my mother on my insurance policy and the insurance company told us today they will let us know if the medical bills surpass our coverage. Even though the police stated my mother is not at fault on the report, can they come after us for expenses surpassing our coverage?

Feel selfish for asking this as the most important thing is for the woman to fully recover. Our stomachs are in knots over this.

The woman who was injured can sue the owner of the car, the driver of the car, the insurance company; and they generally sue as many as they can.

Whatever mom told the police can also be used against her in a civil lawsuit.

Its time to work with the insurance carrier to ameliorate mom's liability and YOURS!

Mom's actions can also jeopardize your spouse, your home, your stuff, your bank accounts, etc...

Your mom rear ended a cyclist legally traveling down the road. You have not evidenced anything different. She is totally liable.

I don't see how she is not at fault based on what you provided here.
I suspect the police only meant to say she did not necessarily break any laws. It is no different than if she came over the hill and hit another car... she is responsible.
Hopefully your insurance can cover it.

Got word today the woman is stable but in serious condition and will require multiple surgeries. She has a tough road ahead. Praying she will fully recover.

hi I wanted to spam your site, but you stopped me, again.
I tried using another FAKE name and magically, you stopped me.
I don't know why I want to scam and spam, I'm not good at it.
Heck, I'm not good at anything I've ever done.
Help me, please, I want to succeed and behave myself.
I want to stop doing naughty things.
Is there a law I use to report myself and get me help?
I want to stop cheating old people, stealing candy from babies, and bones from cute little puppies.
Help me, I need help. Will you help me?

Your pal, Buddy Busted

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Buddy, we only advise people about US legal situations.
I suggest you confine your efforts to the subcontinent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back