Mother in law fied after heart attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickie204

Hi,

My Mother in law had a bad heart attack early Monday morning at approximately 1:00 A.M. while she was at work. She was rushed to the hospital where they had to go in her heart and open a blocked artery. She actually had two blocked arteries and the doctors opened the second block yesterday.

Anyway, she is a home nurse and takes care of an elderly gentleman. The elderly gentleman's son had to go to his home and take care of him until the next nurse arrived at 5:00 AM that same morning. My mother in law works one week on, night and day then another nurse comes in and works for a week, night and day. So, this week is actually her scheduled week off.

Well, she was released from the hospital today, Thursday, July 23, 2009. She called the man she works for to let him know that she is doing much better and that I (who is a nurses aide) would cover her schedule so she could recover for a couple of weeks. Before she could tell him anything, he fired her.

First, she receives a paycheck where he takes out taxes, medicare and SS. She has been working for him for many years and has never taken off work except for maybe a doctor visit and the other nurse and her work it out so they cover each other, which was fine with him. Is there anything she can do, like file for unemployment, etc.? She just wanted her job and she is very dedicated to the man she cares for. The gentleman she works for, is very well off and he pays her directly from his pocket. She is not paid by Medicare or any company like that. The reason I added that, is because we did not know if the laws are the same for an individual verses a company.

Please, can anyone assist us with some information? She does not have any extra money to tide her through this and we are helping as much as we can but not sure how long we can help. We are just working people ourselves.

Sincerely,
Chickie

What state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back