Security Deposit Month to month payment after lease period expired

Agnivo

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,
My lease started from Dec 2018 and ended on 21st Nov 2019. Because of a 60 day notice period, as I informed the property manager in the last week of October 2019 that I do not want to renew the lease and would like to terminate, they forced me to pay the rent for December 2019 as well. I already had an apartment for December 2019 and was paying rent there.
Now, it is mentioned on the lease agreement that there is a month to month lease. In the lease agreement the rate for month to month lease is not mentioned. However, I did not sign any month to month lease agreement with them for December 2019. Also, the person in the lease office did not tell me anything about the actual rate when I went to them on October 2019.
So, I paid the normal rent for December 2019 and at present they have charged a month to month rent which is 3 times that of the normal rent and forcing me to pay the balance. Is this lawful ? I am not sure, please advise. When I told them that I was not aware of the month to month rate they produced a renewal notice with all the rates but it does not have any signature of mine, neither do I remember signing any such document. I have asked them for a copy of any agreement I signed and submitted. Both my lease and this notice is attached. I feel that they are extorting me as they forced me to stay through December and are now also imposing this new rent which is 3 times that of the usual monthly charge.

I paid the normal rent for December 2019 and at present they have charged a month to month rent which is 3 times that of the normal rent and forcing me to pay the balance. Is this lawful ?

You might want to talk to a couple local lawyers about any remedies available to you, or what you can do legally today.

Most lawyers will meet with a prospective client initially for free.

Is this lawful ?

What exactly is your landlord doing to "force" you to pay?

I assume no one is actually "forcing" you to do anything. Rather, I suspect your now former-landlord has told you that you are liable for rent beyond the time that you occupied the premises. To the extent that the former-landlord is doing nothing more than making a claim, of course that's legal. Whether that claim is legally valid is something we obviously cannot know because we have not read your lease.

Both my lease and this notice is attached.

Attached to what?

I feel that they are extorting me

Extortion is defined in section 155.05(e) of the New York Penal Law, and I'm confident that nothing that has happened meets that definition.

they forced me to stay through December

Again, "forced" you how?

Back