1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Money Order Deposit Scam (Potentially)

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by Shine9004, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Shine9004

Shine9004 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    Hello

I reported this situation to other forums but I am trying to get as much info as I can.

The other day, a man asked me to put in a money order for him since his account wasn’t working. Feeling bad, I allowed him to put the money in my account and then withdrew the money. All day, my guts have been telling me that this was a bad idea. I do not know if the money order is real, stolen, or forged. What’s the worse that can happen if the money order turns out to be stolen? Will I get in trouble? I’m really panicking right now so anything can help.

The MO was for $990 and he only wanted $900.

I believe I could potentially be a victim of a fraud scheme

Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

2. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Dude, like I said you need to chill. If the bank isn't out $990 nobody cares. You need to report the fraud to the police.

3. Shine9004

Wow you found me here to. Okay I will. I just have trouble dealing with this type of situation.

Wow you found me here to. Okay I will. I just have trouble dealing with this type of situation.
    Just trying to be 100% clear with everything

I don’t know this person. The entire situation was very confusing. If I’m out $990, I’m okay with that. I just don’t want to be stressed out that’s all

I know and that’s where I really messed up

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I haven't seen you on other sites yet. The worst that can happen is that you are out $990.

Do you know this person? I can't imagine doing anything like that for anybody who just walked up to me at the supermarket.

5. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

It's a shame that your guts didn't tell you that before you did it. Anytime some random person comes up to you with a story like this you pretty much can bet it is a scam. If it was truly a good money order he'd have had no trouble finding a place to cash or deposit it. He'd not need a some stranger to help him with that. Sure, he might have to wait a few days for the money order to clear to get his money, but he'd have gotten it. What you are likely to find is that the money order was no good and that you are out $990 when your bank reverses the credit it gave you for the check.

army judge likes this.
  6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

OP explained it all in ONE sentence.

I explain it ALL in one word: GREED.

Some say SPEED kills.

I say GREED kills, too!

7. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Lots of us post on multiple forums.

8. Shine9004

I am posting in as many threads as I can so I know what I am going to do and take advice from multiple sources.

9. army judge

anythingyou say.gif

mirandawarninginfographic.png

With these rights I read to you, do you now wish to speak with me?

Your answer should always be, "No, I want a lawyer."

Once you've uttered those five words, the only other things you should say are: name, address, date of birth, religious preference, medical information required to save your life, and next of kin (in case you get shanked).

Shine9004 likes this.
  10. Shine9004

I shall keep this in mind

11. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with that. I'm just explaining why you keep running into the same people.

12. sandyeggo

sandyeggo Member

You didn't think it was odd that his account wasn't working? Did you ask why it wasn't working? You do know you don't need a bank account to cash a money order, right? He could have taken it to a check cashing place, for instance, and they would not have charged him $90 to cash it. It's funny how you didn't think him asking you to cash it was extremely odd.

13. Shine9004

Yes it was very odd. The person said he was unable to deposit it in his account and needed help (which I did).

Right now I am unsure whether the MO was fraudulent to begin with since the man said his job payed him with it, which could be false.

14. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Nobody gets paid with money orders.
    You can expect this to come back and bite you. You aren't gong to have any legal trouble over it. You'll just be out the money.

15. army judge

I'm curious.

Did you know this person BEFORE he approached you with his request?

I suspect the worst that will happen to you, if this was a SCAM is that you'll be out $990 PLUS any overdraft or bounced check fees charged by your banking institution.

If you knew the person, who used you to pass "bad paper", the authorities MIGHT try to tie you to the scheme.

If its the latter, rather than the former, prepare yourself today with what you won't say tomorrow (or when the police come knocking).

16. Shine9004

I did NOT know the person. He approached me asking for assistance. If I lose money then so be it. I watched the videos you sent and I hope the police aren't going to be involved. I did report to the FTC and filled out a complaint form. Unsure if that is going to help but we shall see.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  17. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

So some random stranger approached you on the street and asked you to cash a $990.00 MO for him...and just like that you did it?

You are either unloading a truckload of manure or are in need of guardianship.

Red Kayak likes this.
  18. Shine9004

Unfortunately, yes. I understand that I was being stupid which is why I am trying my best to resolve the issue. I was inside of a bank when the person approached me (he too was in the bank).

19. army judge

That video will help if the police come a calling.

It will also help the police identify the rascal.

At least you know what you should do, if Det. Sgt. Joe Friday does want to chat you up.

The cops might want to know why you didn't come to them first.

Until the next shoe drops, you'll just have to wait patiently to see how this ends.

20. sandyeggo

sandyeggo Member

Why would you do that for a stranger? Nobody is that nice or naive. Not in this day and age.