1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Money Order Deposit Scam (Potentially)

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by Shine9004, Aug 31, 2019.

1. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Reported?

So, wait...he gave you a $990 money order that you deposited into your bank account and then you bought a $900 money order and gave it to him? What on Earth would be the point of doing that. He already had a $990 money order, so why would he give it to you to get something less valuable, but otherwise identical, in return? And what does "his account wasn't working" mean?

Regardless of how you answer those questions, the worst that is likely to happen is that if, in fact, there is something wrong with the money order, your bank will pull the $990 from your account.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

PLUS any applicable fees.

3. Shine9004

Shine9004 Law Topic Starter New Member

By reported I meant that I shared what happened to me in other sites and asked for any advice to handle this situation

Honestly if the bank does pull $990 plus any fees from my account, that’s my fault for being naive and stupid. What I hope to avoid is any legal issues

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Most people that get scammed by these crafty critters don't receive visits from law enforcement because they were "conned".

The thing for you to note is that if the "popo" do come calling you know what to do, tell the truth and let them know the bank has video of the scammer accosting you.

Other than a financial loss, my guess is nothing more will come of this.

5. Shine9004

Shine9004 Law Topic Starter New Member

I did not get him another money order. The money order for $990 was deposited into my account, the funds were added, and I withdrew $900. The man said to keep the remaining $90 for helping him.

He told me that initially, he was unable to deposit the MO into his own account because it was locked or because he had a negative balance (some nonsense reason now that I think about it) but he needed the funds right away.