1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Money judgement

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by Ms. Campbell, Oct 25, 2018.

  1. Ms. Campbell

    Ms. Campbell Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I have a money judgement for back child support and back alimony. My question is I would like to know how to put a lien on my ex husband home? Please help
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Once a judgment is entered against a litigant by the court, the litigant becomes a judgment debtor.

    You, madam, obtained a judgment against your former spouse, you are now a judgment creditor.

    After a judge or jury hands down a verdict -- or after a court-approved settlement -- a judgment is entered by the court.

    As judgment creditor you can require the judgment debtor to attend a deposition and give information about his income and assets.

    Once you know about your judgment debtor's assets, you can initiate the process called execution.

    Execution of your judgment allows you to collect money owed under your judgment.

    You can instruct the sheriff to seize your debtor's personal property, bank accounts, and/or real property.

    In Florida a judgment creditor pays a bond to the local sheriff to seize personal property owned by a judgment debtor so that it can be auctioned and the proceeds applied to pay the judgment.

    CAUTION: You should discuss this with an attorney or collection agency, as it is even more difficult to do, than to read about.

    Florida garnishment law allows judgment creditors to obtain a continuing writ of garnishment, which orders your employer to deduct money from your paycheck until you have paid off the judgment.

    Now, here is the problem with your type of lien.

    In Florida, a lien cannot be placed on debtor's home for a debt that has nothing to do with the home.

    Your lien is related to family court matters, and unrelated to money loaned for home repairs, for example.

    I suggest you speak with a couple collection agencies, and collection lawyers.

    You will have to pay them to collect for you, usually 20-33% of what they get.

    The state will collect child support for you for almost nothing, in some cases they'll collect alimony, too.

    This is their website:

    Florida Dept. of Revenue - Home

    Good luck.

Share This Page