misdiagnosis

Jurisdiction
California
(My situation did not appear to match any of your categories, so I clicked on the category that appeared the least wrong.)

A couple of weeks ago, I e-mailed the following letter to my primary physician (except replacing doctors and psychologists names and the "Please note" portion.):

On Dr's (2019 primary physician, not the same as current one), report 8/12/2019, under "mental illness", it says, "major depressive disorder, without psychotic features".
(Psychologist) answered, "Is your thinking always accurate to reality?"

"No", I said.
"Give an example of a time when your thinking was not accurate to reality." (Psychologist) told me.
"Nobody's thinking is always accurate to reality," I said.
_________
On the Notes portion of the visit on October 30, 2019, "Mental illness" portion, it says "major depressive disorder, without psychotic features". (Please note: the psychologist asked me "Is your thinking always accurate to reality?" on October 30, 2019.)
Thank you very much.

2019 primary physician wrote the following answer (replacing doctor and psychologist names):

Hi (my name),
Thank you for your message. I am unable to make changes to documents that were written by colleagues. (psychologist) no longer works in our health system and thus cannot make those changes either. Moving forward, you can discuss this with the behavioral health person you are working with to see their thoughts on the matter and how to ensure that the diagnoses are accurate and within your awareness.
I know that is not what you requested, and I am sorry I am not able to fulfill your request of changing a diagnosis. That is based on their clinical evidence.
Take good care,
(2019 primary physician)

From now on, I am afraid that, any psychotropic prescription a doctor writes for me will be for the alleged "psychotic features". Thus, the doctor will prescribe the wrong medication for the wrong diagnosis, and avoidable side effects will occur (that otherwise would not have occurred).

Also, I am afraid that an extreme situation will occur, where my medical records get subpoenaed and a professional quotes "with psychotic features" out of context, and uses that against me in a courtroom.

What do I need to do to get my medical records changed, from "with psychotic features" to "without psychotic features"?

Or is there nothing I could do about it?

And, what, if anything, could I do to reduce or eliminate the danger of someone putting misdiagnoses on my medical record, in the future?

(If my essay requires clarification or anything like that, please tell me about it.)

Thank you very much.

What do I need to do to get my medical records changed, from "with psychotic features" to "without psychotic features"?

Or is there nothing I could do about it?

Probably nothing. I've looked back on 10 years worth of my records at the VA and there are numerous errors. They don't even correct them when I send the correct information, they just ad what I say without removing the incorrect information.

All you can do is review your records as soon as available after a visit and send the correction.

The trouble with mental illness, unfortunately, is that the records are based on the doctor's observation and opinion and anything you say about it is suspect.

As for medication, research it before you take it. If it's scary take it up with your doctor before you take it.

A good physician is always willing to discuss the positives and negatives of any medication she/he prescribes.

If that isn't the case with your physician, find one who possesses better patient communication and bedside manner.

Most pharmacists are willing to discuss and clarify most of their customers concerns.

There are also several websites that offer excellent descriptions for most prescribed medications.

If you don't understand the risks, don't stop seeking answers until you do.

Back