Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Minor pulled over by off duty cop, charge reckless op/resisting arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

surething

I was on a highway behind a police officer who had just ended his shift, he still had his uniform on. he was behind a car going 40, speed limit is 50, so he was close to the person in front of him, and i was close to him. i was not trying to be rude but the police officer didn't like me tailgating him, he looked over his shoulder while driving, very pissed off, yelling and gave me the finger. he continued to get aggravated, and while i was next to him in another lane to make a right turn, he was looking at me shaking his badge and said "do you *&#$^@! see this!" he than got right behind me, so i turned and pulled over immediatly into a parking lot. he got out of his jeep and i got out of my car also, not in a threating manor, i wanted to talk to this and see if we could come to an agreement, this was the worst thing i have ever done. i got out of my car, and he yelled at me to get back into my vehicle and asked for license and registration. i said your an off duty police officer so i am not going to give you those. he pulled out his cell phone and asked for a cruiser to come. when it arrived he walked to the window and talked to the other officer, again i wanted to talk to these police, so i got out of my car and walked up to them, he said get back in your vehicle again, and i replied can i talk? the off duty officer grabbed my arm and put me on the hood of the car, he than asked the cop in the car for a pair of handcuffs and arrested me. the other cop got out and told me not to move, i said ok, he stood me up straight and took his hand and went into my left pocket, i did not want him to search me, i never said so and he also never asked. i didnt tell the officer to stop, instead i panicked and picked my leg up to get his hand away, the two cops than took me to the ground and took out a taser, i was than put into the cop car and booked. the cop had written up two tickets for me when he recieved a phone call, it was the off duty cop telling him he wanted me charged with reckless op, and resisting arrest.

that is the story, sorry if im missing details and/or this sounds incredibly stupid, i realise that it is, and its my own fault

i really just have no idea on what to do next

Last edited:
If you are a minor, please tell your parents everything.

They are the only ones whose opinion matters in this instance.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but he was in uniform, but didn't have his cuffs? Anyway.....

Even if he is off duty he is still a cop. Cops are technically on duty 24/7. If they see an offense they are still required to act. As said, talk to your parents. You are going to have an arraignment which is where you plead guilty or not guilty. You need a lawyer. If you need a public defender then plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. They will advise you what to do from there.

Due to the circumstances you can probably get some of this reduced.

As said above, police are on duty 24/7. You were instructed to wait in your vehicle and failed to comply, and when you do that you will put a police officer on edge for safety concerns, and find yourself in exactly the situation you did.

You were under arrest, so the search of your pockets is not an issue. In fact, it is required of them. What ever your intended purpose was, when you raised your leg to deflect the officer's hand it was seen as resistance, and I too would have quickly planted you in the ground... especially if you weren't cuffed yet.

Believe it or not, since you were arrested they could have searched your vehicle too, and maybe even towed it... so be grateful they didn't.

In short, regardless of how the officer may have behaved on the road, you had a lot of control over the situation. Follow the rules of the road, which includes keeping a safe distance from other vehicles. Your own actions contributed to the end result.

All that said, if the officer behaved as you say then it sounds as though he was very unprofessional... however you did not handle the situation any better. Under different circumstances you would have been able to at least make a legitimate complaint to the department, but your actions in front of a witness officer will make any complaint you want to make moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back