minor door ding

Status
Not open for further replies.

badgerz78

I recently "door-banged" a person at my workplace. Since I knew the owner of the car I decided to do the right thing by telling this person. It is a very minor scratch that with some buffing should come right out or at the worst would be covered with some touch up paint. This person, however, has come back to me with estimates from body shops wanting to repaint the entire side of the car--not just the minor ding, not the door panel--the entire left hand side of the car (both doors, front and rear quarter panels, door handles, mirrors, etc.). My question is this; What am I legally liable for? I offered to pay for buffing and touch-up paint and feel that that should be appropriate. Isn't it unreasonable to expect to pay for the repainting of the entire side of the car?

It really depends on the car, the age of the car, the damage and a lot of factors.

I once had a brand new pretty expensive car where someone did the same to the door and no matter what you did, painting, buffing etc., the scratch just remained visible.

Since the car was brand new and expensive the damage really affected the value so the other guy's insurance readily paid for the repainting of the whole left side. That was the only way to make the car appear like new again.

You would not be responsible for that person's windfall. They won't get a full free paint job on you and if they go through with it then they are most likely to get the value of the repainting of the door in its entirety. It sounds to me that they are trying to get the very best, top of the line work done. I understand NYClex's point and it is a good one. But that doesn't mean that you have to pay for the entire repaint and the benefit the owner gets of a full repaint and a windfall. I'd challenge the owner and say that if he wants to have his entire car painted at your expense, he might as well go to court and see if anyone else agrees with his desire for a windfall. You did the right thing and he may want to get a bit more benefit than he deserves here.

Originally posted by badgerz78
I recently "door-banged" a person at my workplace. Since I knew the owner of the car I decided to do the right thing by telling this person. It is a very minor scratch that with some buffing should come right out or at the worst would be covered with some touch up paint. This person, however, has come back to me with estimates from body shops wanting to repaint the entire side of the car--not just the minor ding, not the door panel--the entire left hand side of the car (both doors, front and rear quarter panels, door handles, mirrors, etc.). My question is this; What am I legally liable for? I offered appropriate. Isn't it unreasonable to expect to pay for the repainting of the entire side of the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back