minor arrested for shoplifting, what are my penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diveslowly

i'm seventeen years old and my record is clean. yesterday i attempted to steal $38 worth of merchandise from (dept. store). the staff wanted to call my parents to pick me up and i obviously didn't want to give them a real number and have them leave work early to come pick me up for shoplifting, so i texted my friend really quick hoping she'd help me out and gave them her number. she didn't see my text before she picked up her call and so they realized i gave them a false number. i gave up and said to just call the cops and so they did. the cops were actually really nice and praised me for being a musician and a straight a student. they gave me a citation and said i would get something in the mail containing a court date.

when can i expect a letter? how long till my court date? what will my penalties most likely be? what do i do and say in court to ensure that i get a lighter punishment and don't ruin it for myself?

edited to remove name of store. Betty3

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to tell your parents & they need to get you a lawyer. Talk only to your parents & lawyer. The lawyer will go over your options with you & answer any questions you might have.

i'm seventeen years old and my record is clean. yesterday i attempted to steal $38 worth of merchandise from (dept. store). the staff wanted to call my parents to pick me up and i obviously didn't want to give them a real number and have them leave work early to come pick me up for shoplifting, so i texted my friend really quick hoping she'd help me out and gave them her number. she didn't see my text before she picked up her call and so they realized i gave them a false number. i gave up and said to just call the cops and so they did. the cops were actually really nice and praised me for being a musician and a straight a student. they gave me a citation and said i would get something in the mail containing a court date.

when can i expect a letter? how long till my court date? what will my penalties most likely be? what do i do and say in court to ensure that i get a lighter punishment and don't ruin it for myself?

edited to remove name of store. Betty3

Okay, this is easy, real easy.
When the notice arrives, read it.
Then follow the instructions to the letter.
You'll probably be directed to adult court, so your parents may not find out.
But, if I were you, I'd tell them,

When you get to court, plead NOT guilty, confess to nothing, admit to nothing, and give only name, age, address, etc...
Then ask for a public defender.
Don't try to explain or discuss, just play stupid, and keep asking for a lawyer.
Now, the tricky part.
Ever hear of a dude fictional dude named Eddie Haskell.
Google him, then become Eddie Haskell in court, and be sure to dress the part.

Stay out of all trouble, keep doing well in school, and follow the lawyer's instructions.
This will be washed away, if you play it smart, stay in school, and become Eddie Haskell for a few weeks.

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like your daily. Your court day can come in days or even months. Give it a couple weeks. In mean time it would be wise to talk to a Lawyer many offer free consultations. When you meet ask about ACD or Diversion to protect your record. Answer no Police questions until you speak to an Attorney. You should also get a letter of Civil demand (more here) http://www.parentnook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=3934 its unrelated to your criminal case but still state law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back