Mid Life Crisis Before I'm Even 21!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefashiontitan

About 2 weeks ago during my shift at (a clothing store), I was asked to come into the back office where I was interviewed by loss prevention about committing internal theft which I did write a statement of admission for stealing merchandise which totaled $106.28. I admitted to stealing because I was so scared and I wanted to come clean instead of deny and get myself in a deeper hole. I took full responsibility in what I have done, no need to sit in my sadness and depression anymore. I am a 20 year old college student majoring in fashion design with no other hopes of jobs except in retail. I am pretty sure I was entered into the retail theft database (which would hinder me from working retail for the next 7 years) but I am not positive. Also, I would like to work retail but I don't know what retailers use what database I'm sure they all don't use the same one. Is that a way i can apply to certain retailers that don't subscribe to the certain database? I received a letter from the company's lawyers in which I am being asked to pay restitution for losses in the amount listed above. Some people are saying not to pay because a company wouldn't sue for such a small amount while others are saying to pay it now before it gets bigger and I don't want any criminal charges filed against me that will hurt me in the long run. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I AM SCARED TO DEATH. I was not charged or prosecuted in any extent because this was my first time ever doing anything wrong lawfully. I've even talked to the store manager since and she has been so helpful and not rude at all. I just want to know if i'm screwed for the next 7 years when it comes to applying for a retail job with ANY company. This is ruining my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retailers will not tell you what database they use, or even if they use one, specifically for the purpose of making sure you cannot do what you just suggested - only apply to stores that do not, or who use a different one. However, I have picked up from the other posters here that these databases are currently suspended due to a lawsuit. That is not to say it is impossible that they will go back to usage.

There are two schools of thoughts on the civil demand. Personally, I'd pay it. You currently appear to have dodged a bullet, but if you appear uncooperative there is no reason they can't fire again. They have a long, long time to file criminal charges if they get the feeling that you're not willing to cooperate with them.

Search the forum posts, OP, shrinkmaster (our resident loss prevention and security consultant) tells us ALL of those databases are inoperable at the moment. The operators are reeling from a recent lawsuit and adverse - to them - ruling.

I'm sure shrinkmaster will appear and reveal more.

I am a Retail theft consultant and help people like you daily. My team can research what stores use what databases but there are so many it would take time and we would certainly not take on such a huge venture for free. However if there was one or two stores you had in mind we can do that. At this point it does not really matter as most (if not all) of the retail theft databases are on hold right now after The Esteem database was sued for improper credit reporting procedures. the legal teams of these databases are working on how they can continue and avoid legal potholes but nothing has come across my desk yet that any of them have. You may email me directly if you like as some of the info I could tell you I cannot do publically as my work has me working both sides. What you really need to know is what database does the store (you should not have named publically) uses. That would narrow things quite a bit

I am a Retail theft consultant and help people like you daily. My team can research what stores use what databases but there are so many it would take time and we would certainly not take on such a huge venture for free. However if there was one or two stores you had in mind we can do that. At this point it does not really matter as most (if not all) of the retail theft databases are on hold right now after The Esteem database was sued for improper credit reporting procedures. the legal teams of these databases are working on how they can continue and avoid legal potholes but nothing has come across my desk yet that any of them have. You may email me directly if you like as some of the info I could tell you I cannot do publically as my work has me working both sides. What you really need to know is what database does the store (you should not have named publically) uses. That would narrow things quite a bit

how do I go about emailing you oh mighty shrinkmaster, as we all can see I am a noob when it comes to forums & their operations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back