1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Michigan Union question

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by PookieNumNums, Nov 21, 2019.

  1. PookieNumNums

    PookieNumNums Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    So I work for a company for 7 years now ( it is a grocery business owned by a family )

    I signed up to be a union member 7 years ago when I was first hired. I sent the union an EMAIL requesting information on how to not be a union member and stop paying dues ( I sent the email in 2017 ) What I did not know is that they took that email as me demanding to stop being a member and I just found out a few days ago I am no longer a union member YET they STILL continued to take union dues out of every single paycheck. When I talked to them on the phone they said " Oh you only had 1 year to stop paying dues when I signed up "

    yet I read online that Michigan is a right work state and they can't force you to be a member / pay dues .

    Can I demand that they refund me all the dues I paid since they made me a non member?

    I can't believe that they even took an email and not an actual signed contract or letter as my resignation. It's absolutely ridiculous ! All I was doing was requesting information ! They sure in the hell didn't take the " I want to stop paying dues " part of my email seriously but they sure jumped at the chance to make me a non member.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    The site explains the law.

    Read it.

    Labor and Economic Opportunity - Freedom to Work

    You have remedies.
    Collect all your paystubs showing how much has been stolen from you.

    You can bring a lawsuit.
    Talk to a lawyer, ASAP.
    Don't mention this to anyone, especially union members, union officials, or your employer.

Share This Page