Mental Health Thread #9 - Spring is Coming!

The Pirates lost their first game. At least it wasn't the home opener. And, hopefully they won't take after the Pens after last night's disastrous hockey game. Ouch.

Yep, hockey overlaps with baseball season. Didn't the "Pens" lose in OT?

If you have read about Wally's raising all ee's to 9.00 then next year 10.00 and you thought they would be raising prices as a result. Well like me you thought wrong.
What they are doing is only hiring part-time from now on, and part-time gets no benefits for a full year, and the benefits are not the same as full-timers(higher deductible, etc.)
I can see where for students under 25 who can still be on their parents medical, they'd probably rather the higher pay rate. What's infuriating for us right now is they told my husband that he would be part-time for 30 days, then have insurance in 30 days when he made full time. He quit another job(that was much less physical work) to take this one because he needs the medical ins. He also turned down another job interview because he thought he had a good thing. It also doesn't make sense that NOW after 30 days on the job they tell him he will never make full-time, but somehow for 3 weeks in a row he's worked 40+. Guess we'll be job hunting again.

Serious question, sorry baseball fans. If anyone has ever needed to be in charge of moving a parent to senior living and selling the old house, while living long distance, what are the most important things you learned in the process and the best piece of advice you can give me? Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that, txls. :( We never moved a parent Betty C - were able to take care of them both at home.

BettyC, I have not yet had that experience but may be having it within a few years, so if you get any good pointers, please share.

I was fortunate to have brothers who take care of these things after I moved away. The only thing I can think of is to have a trusted family friend help your parents make sure valuable items ($$ or sentimental) are secured before movers come in.

Haven't directly experienced it, but a lot of it depends on the condition of your parents, what kind of situation they are going to, etc. Are they still competent to handle their own affairs? Are they moving to an apartment living situation where they are mostly independent or do they need a higher level of care? What condition is the house in? Is it sale ready? Do they need to do serious downsizing? If so, the services of a professional organizer and/or cleaning crew might be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks everybody, yes, the brothers and I have a pretty good handle on the logistics, and the parents' neighbors are wonderful. Thank goodness they saved their pennies all these years, so being able to throw money at the situation is a big help. I was just having a bit of an anxiety attack and looking for a pep talk. If everything goes well (knocking on wood), it should all be settled in about two months.

Linda- Looks like my daughter is relocating to Dallas from New York, would you be able to recommend a local newspaper that I can get on line? I'm interested in reading the local news and learning more about the region. Thanks.

That's ok. I'll look on line and see what I can find. I think this is a great move for her but as a mom I want to find out everything I can about where she's moving.

I was going to suggest doing a google search - I would think there would be newspapers on line for Dallas. Good luck to your daughter.

Well DH is going back to the former employer. They're giving him the opportunity to train as a supervisor and it should be better for his health and better pay. They've been calling him since he left and he didn't really want to go back, but they finally called with the right offer, and he needs the medical benefits. They do have good benefits. Really hoping it works out for him.

Did not sleep at all last night. I dozed lightly for a few minutes sometime after 5 AM and that is it. I don't feel sleepy but my head feels like it is underwater and every little thing is driving me nuts today. Have a paper to finish tonight and the retirement celebration for a colleague so I won't even be able to go to sleep early. Tomorrow should be a joy.

I hate that. Of course, with being retired, it's not as big a deal.

ElleMD- I think its going to be a big adjustment to my daughter too! Once the newness wears off and she realizes she's 1500 miles away from home I hope for her sake she doesn't regret the move. All four of my kids are very close and live in the NY city and Hoboken NJ area so I think its going to be a big adjustment for all of us.

There's a big airport in Dallas :) It was big adjustment for me to move away from family, but we manage to keep in touch and visit fairly often.

Back