memoirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubfin

I am writing my memoirs about growing up in a small town in NY state.
I am not purposefully saying anything bad about anyone. But in one instance a murder took place in which I knew all the people involved. A woman who was cheating on her husband was also shot. I am afraid that her children can sue if I write about this and name the woman.

The other thing is that I have lots of photos of friends from that period (1925 to 1945). many are dead but can the living ones and the family of the dead ones sue me for using the photos? None of the photos are derogatory.

Finally, some general questions of law.

Can the family or estate of a deceased person sue me or my estate on behalf of the deceased person?

If you are sued for libel and win the case, does the loser pay all court costs as well as my lawyer's fees for defending me.?

If what I say is true, can I ever be sued regardless of using real names?

Is it true that dead people cannot be defamed, even if what you say turns out to be false?

Last edited:
Anybody can sue anyone for any reason at any time and any place.

We can't tell you what people will do in the future.

You need to talk to a lawyer specialized in such issues before even continuing your writings. There are methods of writing such works and avoiding litigation. So talk to a layer ASAP. People here cannot help based on limited info and on the potential gravity and implications of such work. Only an expert on such issues can really give you good help. I have an idea on how to handle such but I defer you to experts for you own protection from litigation.

Anybody can sue anyone for any reason at any time and any place.

We can't tell you what people will do in the future.
---------------------------------------------------------------
One of my questions was can a person be sued after he/she is dead.
I just want to make sure I understood your reply. If "anybody can sue anybody" I assume your answer to that question is Yes, a person can be sued after he/she is dead.

I hate to bother you again with this but an answer is not helpful if there is any ambiguity.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back