Medical Privacy

jbella

Jurisdiction
New York
I work for a municipality.
I had burned my neck over the weekend. A few coworkers asked me what happened and I indicated I burned it. The City's Supervisor (who is also the HR manager) went to a coworker (also friend) and asked her if the injury that I had was really from a burn or the result of a domestic violence situation. He had the conversation in my coworker's office with two other coworker's (not friends!) present. The Supervisor never even saw my injury. Does he have the right to discuss my medical business?

There is absolutely no reason to suspect I'm in any kind of domestic violence situation.

There is absolutely no reason to assume that you're not, either.

If this is how you react when someone expresses concern for your welfare, I can't imagine how you're going to react when I tell you that no one did anything out of line.

IF you had submitted a claim for the burn through your workers compensation policy, or your self-insured health insurance, and your employer had taken the information they got from that claim and discussed it with someone who did not have a need to know, that might have been a problem. As it is, this was someone who was concerned that maybe someone was in a bad situation and asked about it.

There is absolutely no reason to assume that you're not, either.

If this is how you react when someone expresses concern for your welfare, I can't imagine how you're going to react when I tell you that no one did anything out of line.

IF you had submitted a claim for the burn through your workers compensation policy, or your self-insured health insurance, and your employer had taken the information they got from that claim and discussed it with someone who did not have a need to know, that might have been a problem. As it is, this was someone who was concerned that maybe someone was in a bad situation and asked about it.

Thank you for your response. There is a long history here that is not posted.

I had burned my neck over the weekend.

Nothing wrong if you were burned accidentally.

Just try to be more careful.

A few coworkers asked me what happened and I indicated I burned it.

Never discuss or reveal YOUR PRIVATE business with your co-workers.

Does he have the right to discuss my medical business?

If you hadn't REVEALED your BUSINESS, no one would be discussing it.

I suggest you simply remain silent, do your job, and never tell anything about your home life to your co-workers.

Tried to avoid it as much as possible but it was very visible! Hadn't expected so much gossip.
Good suggestions - thank you!

I can only reply to the facts you provide. On the facts you provided, your response to what happened is what's out of line, not the conversation in question. If you think additional information would change that viewpoint, you are at liberty to provide it.

Back