Married under assumed name

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarmguy

My wife and I were married in 1994 in Florida while I was on the run from a criminal case from another state. When our relationship looked like it was becoming serious I confessed to her my real name, my history, and why I was on the run, she accepted this and and with full knowledge married me under my assumed name.

Anyway, the law finally caught up with me in 2000 and I was extradited back to the state where I committed my crime (embezzlement), did my time, paid my restitution, and now I'm all done with that.

My question is this: Is my marriage valid? I've done some minor research and in most of the cases I've read about, the wife had no knowledge that her husband was not who she thought. My wife DID know but entered into the marriage anyway. Does that make a difference? Am I married?

BTW, there's no issue of bigamy here.

Unless you had your name LEGALLY changed before you were married, its not considered "official" under the law. And signing or entering into any contracts (marriage license) under a name that is not valid is essentially falsified information which is illegal. I would check with a lawyer in the state that you were married for details pertaining to this.

Thanks, I was planning to consult a local attorney regarding this soon anyway, since I'm still living under the false name even now and I want to start the process of getting back to my real name.

It's going to be a complicated mess & I've been putting it off for far too long. I am a VERY successful business owner here in Florida and I need to do this in such a way as to minimize the impact on my family as well as my company.

Friends, business relations, some family......what will they think of me? God what a mess.

Unless you had your name LEGALLY changed before you were married, its not considered "official" under the law. And signing or entering into any contracts (marriage license) under a name that is not valid is essentially falsified information which is illegal. I would check with a lawyer in the state that you were married for details pertaining to this.

That's not correct.

The marriage IS legal, despite the license using a different name. It absolutely WILL be considered "valid" under the law - in every state.

Alarmguy, some secrets are best left unsaid.

You're legally married, as you entered into the marriage without the intent to commit fraud.

Using an assumed name, on it's face, is not a crime. Actors, celebrities, entertainers do it all the time. As long as your intent is not to defraud, I suggest you let sleeping dogs lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back