Medical Malpractice Malpractice or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollymarie123

Ever since the begining of my pregnancy there was numerous problems I was put on steriods and what not. Anywhoo... I had started having contractions in my 8th month of pregnancy and was given a shot to stop my labor and get sent home. 2 days before Aug 1st I went back to the Labor and Delivery and was having contractions during that time they hooked me up to the monitor and checked the intensity of my contractions. They noticed my sons heart rate was dropping. They watched me and his heart rate for an hour and sent me back home. i got really sick. Horrible heart burn I felt like I needed to vomit and I couldnt stop drinking water. The next day I called my OB to notify her that I was having horrible back pain and i believed I was having back labor. I was told there was no such thing and to call when I was in real labor and hung up on. I held off untill about 5 am Aug. 1st I couldnt stand the pain I was in. i went back down to labor and delivery we found out my son had been in fetal distress and I had been in labor for 2 days. They gave me an emergency c-section. And we were told if we hadnt came when we did me and my son would be gone. Then after birth and we were sent home. the doctor called after my sons newborn screening came back. They needed to do further testing for Cystic Fibrosis. 2 blood draws and 2 sweat tests later I was told YES MY SON DID INFACT HAVE CF.One CF clinic later... They wanted more testing. Now the Fecal elastace and throat swab came back perfectly normal and they are saying that he dont have it. So what can I do?

Here are some questions you need to ask yourself to see if you want to proceed with a malpractice case: Was my doctor monitoring my pregnancy closely? Did s/he noticed any abnormalities during the regular ultrasounds? What impact has the labor had on your baby's health and your own?

Then, think about the lab results: a reasonable person when told that they have a condition does not rely only on the first diagnosis. They see at least three doctors so to confirm if they realy have a condition and then find the best course of treatment.

If your only motive is a big payout in court, I have news for you. You will have to really have a strong case and prove that due to what happened to you during labor and the laboratory's results, your life is now upsidown type. Moreover, you will have to be prepared to spend some money first in order to see if you can get something back from the people you may be planning on suing.

So, the bottom line here is - if you think you have a strong case, consult with a malpractice attorney. Good luck to you!

I guess I wasnt clear of wat I was trying to say..the labor part is the first story. I wasnt relating the labor to what they are claiming he has now. But I have been treating him for cystic fibrosis and then come to find out he dont have it.

Molly - you should have taken your child to at least three different doctors to confirm the diagnosis; not take the first diagnosis as the correct one. Again, my suggestion is for you to consult with a malpractice attorney to see what options you have regarding the lab. If the meds he is taking for the CF have damaged anything in his body, that would be a topic of discussion for you and your attorney, but, if the meds have not done anything to his body as far as side effects and you didn't take your son to see different doctors to confirm the CF diagnosis, you don't have that much of a case... Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back