(Louisiana) I want to sign over my rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

trulytroubled

I had a one night stand with an ex girlfriend and she now claims she's pregnant. She's been with four guys in like six months so I don't trust her and pray it's not for me. First she tells me if it's mine I can accept it or sign over my rights, then she emails me and says that she hears I can only sign over my rights if another man is willing to adopt it. I live in Louisiana and need to know if I can sign over my rights, and how to go about it. She's evil and already said the child wouldn't have my last name and that she already has the name picked out and that what she says goes. I know she's only after my money and that I will go through total hell if I don't find a way out of it. I'm not ready for a child and cannot afford to support one, I can't even find a job! Not to mention I'm moving 1400 Miles from here in april and will only come back maybe once every year or two, if that. I live in Louisiana and need to know if I can sign over my rights, and how to go about it, without having to worry about CS.

Originally posted by trulytroubled
I had a one night stand with an ex girlfriend and she now claims she's pregnant. She's been with four guys in like six months so I don't trust her and pray it's not for me. First she tells me if it's mine I can accept it or sign over my rights, then she emails me and says that she hears I can only sign over my rights if another man is willing to adopt it. I live in Louisiana and need to know if I can sign over my rights, and how to go about it. She's evil and already said the child wouldn't have my last name and that she already has the name picked out and that what she says goes. I know she's only after my money and that I will go through total hell if I don't find a way out of it. I'm not ready for a child and cannot afford to support one, I can't even find a job! Not to mention I'm moving 1400 Miles from here in april and will only come back maybe once every year or two, if that. I live in Louisiana and need to know if I can sign over my rights, and how to go about it, without having to worry about CS.

The first step is establishing paternity. If you are the father, terminating your rights can be difficult, next to impossible if there is no stepparent to adopt.

If there is no stepparent to adopt and you are able to get your rights terminated...you are still responsible for child support. It is a common mis belief that termination of parental rights automatically ends CS.

Also, if your rights are terminated and the mother goes on state aid, the state will come after you for reimbursement.

Check out this site as it deals with LA law only:

http://la-legal.com/forum/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back