Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Loss prevention agent stabbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

army judge

Super Moderator
The world is going from bad to worse.
A loss prevention agent at a Lowe's in Michigan was stabbed while doing his job.
The drug, addicted thief stabbed the diligent officer with a dirty, syringe.

But, the story had some good news.
Concerned shoppers an armed, good citizen came to aid of the officer in detaining the suspect.

Police say an armed citizen came to the aid of security guards at a metro Detroit Home Depot store who were being attacked by a drug-addicted shoplifter with a dirty syringe.

The incident happened Monday afternoon at the Home Depot store on 13 Mile Road and Little Mack Avenue, off I-94 in Roseville, MI as the security officers were trying to apprehend a 26-year-old thief, Joshua Joseph Silva, who was alleged to have shoplifted.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03...home-depot-security-guard-with-dirty-syringe/

I bet there are a bazillion different ways that could have been handled without getting poked with the needle. He is lucky the crook wasn't carrying a more deadly weapon.

I bet there are a bazillion different ways that could have been handled without getting poked with the needle. He is lucky the crook wasn't carrying a more deadly weapon.

True. He may have been too at ease. That needle might be very deadly though, depending on if it has that virus in or on it.

Proper training in the use of wrist locks and control holds is probably not on a security guard's or loss prevention agent's schedule.

They could easily have followed standard protocol and still been stuck by a whacked out doper. Probably 8 out of 10 shoplifters either bolt at the outset or comply with verbal commands.

No Loss Prevention Officers are not given any training in the possible physical aspect of job. In fact most retailers train their staff to back away and let the subject go if a weapon is produced or even if subject resists. Nothing in store is worth a life! I train, talk to LP all the time on this. Where I don't blame LP for this he should have backed off and let him. In addition there is a proper way to approach a subject that reduces chance of subject fleeing or fighting. Yelling HEY YOU, or You got my $%#@ and the like can provoke negative response. An approach like excuse can we got back to the store there seems to be a problem with some merchandise. Come with me so we can work this out and you can go. Does not provoke a negative response in most cases.

Loss prevention agents do a tough, unappreciated job.
Cops, do too.
I don't envy either profession.

Just on the local TV news today, they had a story on shoplifters using tasers on loss prevention/security guards to get away. One local guard got tasered in the face by a shoplifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back