Live in manager being pushed out of home and job with only a short time

D

Dirtyblyss

Jurisdiction
California
I'm the on site manager of a small motel. I had reasently fired two employees for poor job performance and one for drugs I have everything documented some even recorded. My director of operations approved this move however the owner brought them back to the samecposision casing me two months of he'll dealing with everything from slander to insobordantion. My complaints to the owner went unanswered and when I said I would contact an after my when I seen an ad for my job online they told me they were leasing the property a d my job would be no more and they would offer me a sum of money and promise of a job later but not as managment. I'm being forced to accept there terms cuz if not I'll be in the streets with my family on the 28th my wife's job is also gone but no one else's I know it's due to me firering the two they brought back what can I do?

Either accept the new job or find a new one. I'll assume you don't have any contractual obligations being violated since you aren't mentioning any here.
Their reason isn't important. Let that go.

The thing is I'm the live in manager and with the job hose the residence can they kick me out of the residence with out a 30 notice I paid no rent on it but I've been here mine months

I don't think that there is any law protecting you. Landlord tenant and lodging statutes don't apply to employment arrangements that involve free lodging.

The day your job ends is the day your lodging ends.

You've apparently been giving notice for the 28th (that's ten days).

I suggest you accept the offer of the money and use it to pay for your room or find other lodging.

You have no leverage here.

I'd disagree with that. They would need to go through the same eviction process if you don't move out willingly. They can't force you out without a court order.

They might have to give you proper notice & evict you through the court system but there isn't anything you can do about the loss of your job & your wife's job re getting them back. You can file for unemployment ins. (the state will decide if you qualify) or you can accept another job from your current employer if you are offered one. Good luck.

Either accept the new job or find a new one. I'll assume you don't have any contractual obligations being violated since you aren't mentioning any here.
Their reason isn't important. Let that go.

I support your reasoning, and would add it makes sense because CA is very tenant friendly.

Back