Liability of Unmarried Boyfriend/Girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Jennings

Jurisdiction
California
In California - if my unmarried, opposite sex partner and I get a joint car insurance policy. (We live together). Could one of us be sued for damages the other caused to a third party. In other words, if I cause an accident, could the injured party sue both of us, even if she wasn't involved? Does a joint insurance policy make a difference?

In California - if my unmarried, opposite sex partner and I get a joint car insurance policy. (We live together). Could one of us be sued for damages the other caused to a third party.

It is NEVER a wise choice to get involved financially with anyone but your lawful spouse.

In some cases, you can get burned by a spouse, so if it is safety, security, and assurance you seek; never entangle your finances with anyone, even a spouse.

That is why some people execute a prenuptial agreement, or choose NOT to marry anyone or anything.

I would never commingle my money or assets with anyone to whom I am not married.

In other words, if I cause an accident, could the injured party sue both of us, even if she wasn't involved?

It serves no useful purpose to answer hypotheticals outside of a law school classroom or not in response to a state bar exam.

Does a joint insurance policy make a difference?

It serves no useful purpose to answer hypotheticals outside of a law school classroom or not in response to a state bar exam.

Could one of us be sued

Anyone could be sued by anyone for anything.

However, being sued and being liable are two very different things, and you're not liable for your boyfriend/girlfriend's negligence just because you have a "joint insurance policy" doesn't change that.

Being on a joint policy isn't likely to mean anything. Being an owner of a car may expose you to some liability if the car was involved in an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back