1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Liability of Unmarried Boyfriend/Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Auto Accidents, Injuries' started by David Jennings, Sep 16, 2019.

1. David Jennings

David Jennings Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    In California - if my unmarried, opposite sex partner and I get a joint car insurance policy. (We live together). Could one of us be sued for damages the other caused to a third party. In other words, if I cause an accident, could the injured party sue both of us, even if she wasn't involved? Does a joint insurance policy make a difference?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

It is NEVER a wise choice to get involved financially with anyone but your lawful spouse.

In some cases, you can get burned by a spouse, so if it is safety, security, and assurance you seek; never entangle your finances with anyone, even a spouse.

That is why some people execute a prenuptial agreement, or choose NOT to marry anyone or anything.

I would never commingle my money or assets with anyone to whom I am not married.

It serves no useful purpose to answer hypotheticals outside of a law school classroom or not in response to a state bar exam.

It serves no useful purpose to answer hypotheticals outside of a law school classroom or not in response to a state bar exam.

justblue likes this.
  3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Anyone could be sued by anyone for anything.

However, being sued and being liable are two very different things, and you're not liable for your boyfriend/girlfriend's negligence just because you have a "joint insurance policy" doesn't change that.

4. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

Being on a joint policy isn't likely to mean anything. Being an owner of a car may expose you to some liability if the car was involved in an accident.

justblue likes this.