Legale or Not

olesia

Jurisdiction
California
Hi!
I'm graphic designer. I want to open online store where I can create posters/arts by using lyrics from songs in a creative way - typography art. I'm wondering if it's legal to do so? Of course it will be mentioned that lyrics are not mine but author's of song. Will it be legal? Do I need to have permission?

Hi!
I'm graphic designer. I want to open online store where I can create posters/arts by using lyrics from songs in a creative way - typography art. I'm wondering if it's legal to do so? Of course it will be mentioned that lyrics are not mine but author's of song. Will it be legal? Do I need to have permission?

Let's say that someone reached in to your pocket and grabbed something that you had worked hard for...do you think that would be legal? Do you think person should need permission before doing so?

Let's say that someone reached in to your pocket and grabbed something that you had worked hard for...do you think that would be legal? Do you think person should need permission before doing so?

I tried such an argument with Uncle Sammy, and he told me to scram and I'd better pay up.
He then reached into BOTH of my pockets and emptied them. ;) :D

And then handed you back $1200 of your money and called it a stimulus.

:D

No. Where the government printed the money and handed it out as stimulus, adding to the debt. This money didn't come out of your pocket...at least not yet. It'll be the taxpayers who are around when (if ever) we start to pay down the debt that will pay for it.

I want to open online store where I can create posters/arts by using lyrics from songs in a creative way - typography art. I'm wondering if it's legal to do so?

Only if you have a license from the owner of the copyright in the song.

Of course it will be mentioned that lyrics are not mine but author's of song.

That doesn't matter if you don't have a copyright license.

Back