Legal guardian vs. custodial parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdaulton

Is there anyway to appoint my father as the guardian of my children while I am maintained as the custodial parent? The children's father is deceased and I would like to do this so that we can add my children to my father's private insurance. Is it all possible to do this or maybe for us to share guardianship? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

If the children's father is deceased you are the ONLY parent not just the custodial parent. If you trust your father, then why not give him custody? I'm not sure that guardianship is enough to put him on your father's insurance. You could sign full custody over if you are sure your father won't push you out of the decision making. It's a dangerous thing to start signing your kid over to someone for INSURANCE. Is it really that important?

Can I share custody with my father?
I trust my father implicitly and since my husband died, my father has really stepped up to be the kids father figure. Since I have 3 kids, having great health insurance is very important to me. Thanks for the feedback!

The way you share custody with a non-parent is through guardianship. I discussed how to look into that (feel free to ask questions). You do not want to give up all custody. I would check into his insurance though, I'm not sure you can get them covered this way but you should surely look into the policy if you want to try.

PS: While I know you trust your father, there are so many bad possibilities. He may acquire a new wife who influences him, he could become incapacitated and you don't automatically get custody back if you gave it up entirely, he could die, any number of bad things that could complicate matters.

Go the route of guardianship. Talk to an attorney to do it right, it won't cost that much.

I just re-read your post, I don't know where I got the idea that you wanted to give up all custody to him. I read and answer a lot of posts. Sorry.

Last edited:
We've talked to his insurance and as long as he's considered a guardian it's no problem. I have a lawyer who can do this, I just wanted to make sure it was possible to add him as a guardian without screwing myself and changing my rights as the parent. Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back