Legal custody

A

Amanda Gafner

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I was wondering about trying to get custody of my niece. My brother, her father has been in and out of jail all her life. The mother is in jail now and is a addict. The house they live is filthy. CYS has been involved all her life. My concern is this little girl who is now 8 years needs a stable life and not be tossed back and forth because her parents care more about other things than her. Do I have a chance? If so how do I go about doing this?

I was wondering about trying to get custody of my niece. My brother, her father has been in and out of jail all her life. The mother is in jail now and is a addict. The house they live is filthy. CYS has been involved all her life. My concern is this little girl who is now 8 years needs a stable life and not be tossed back and forth because her parents care more about other things than her. Do I have a chance? If so how do I go about doing this?

Children aren't possessions to be traded and awarded to people because of genetic ties.

If any person is in danger, call "911", so that the police are alerted and will investigate.

If the child was taken by child services, you as a relative can make known your interest in becoming an emergency caregiver for the child.

Unfortunately, child services desires to reunify families, therefore custody is probably a pipe dream.

Emergency caretaker might be a possibility.

Many times in life we can't help a certain person, but there are many children in need of foster parenting.

Again, ask child services how you might serve as an emergency foster parent.

Any chance the parents would agree to let you be her guardian? Have you asked? If they are amenable to it, your odds go way up.

If not, and the child is actually removed from the home, you can check with CYS and see if they would consider placement with you.

Back