Lease agreement

Terrence46

Jurisdiction
Washington
If I moved out of my apartment due to separating from my wife and my name is no longer on the lease, am l still financially liable to pay that rent if she renew the lease in her name only?

In the state of Washington, you may file for legal separation from your spouse if you want to live separate and apart but not divorce. Filing for a legal separation makes the separation official, as opposed to one spouse simply moving to a different residence.

Such a legal filing won't divvy up the marital estate, or dispense with the marital obligations.

I suggest you speak with a couple WA licensed divorce attorneys.

A divorce is required to achieve the result you desire, a separation won't get you there.

In the state of Washington, you may file for legal separation from your spouse if you want to live separate and apart but not divorce. Filing for a legal separation makes the separation official, as opposed to one spouse simply moving to a different residence.

Such a legal filing won't divvy up the marital estate, or dispense with the marital obligations.

I suggest you speak with a couple WA licensed divorce attorneys.

A divorce is required to achieve the result you desire, a separation won't get you there.

I've already filed for a divorce in April and she was served on the 21st of April 2017. Does that still makes me liable to pay her rent even though I'm not on the lease.

I've already filed for a divorce in April and she was served on the 21st of April 2017. Does that still makes me liable to pay her rent even though I'm not on the lease.

That is something the divorce will address.

In the interim, you'll need to file specific motions seeking interlocutory relief.

There is no specific law that requires one spouse to support the other.

Any such support obligation arises from the divorce decree.

I suggest you discuss this with your attorney.

Bear in mind, even IF the divorce decree says you're not responsible, that doesn't relieve you of any prior contractual obligations.

If your landlord has relieved you of your lease obligations, you're not required to pay her rent, just as she isn't required to pay yours.

The decree is between Person A and Person B.

It has NO impact on other parties, except issue of the marriage.

That is something the divorce will address.

In the interim, you'll need to file specific motions seeking interlocutory relief.

There is no specific law that requires one spouse to support the other.

Any such support obligation arises from the divorce decree.

I suggest you discuss this with your attorney.

Bear in mind, even IF the divorce decree says you're not responsible, that doesn't relieve you of any prior contractual obligations.

If your landlord has relieved you of your lease obligations, you're not required to pay her rent, just as she isn't required to pay yours.

The decree is between Person A and Person B.

It has NO impact on other parties, except issue of the marriage.

If I moved out of my apartment due to separating from my wife and my name is no longer on the lease, am l still financially liable to pay that rent if she renew the lease in her name only?

Given that you're separated and in the process of divorce, the marital community has been terminated, so no.

My next question is what should I do if my wife refuses to sign the parenting plan in regards to visitation with our kids

If you can't agree, then the court will decide.

My next question is what should I do if my wife refuses to sign the parenting plan in regards to visitation with our kids

You need a lawyer.

Don't rely on answers you receive from internet strangers.

If you and she fail to agree, the judge will decide for both of you.

Back