Layoff - company vehicle purchase

FJNat

Jurisdiction
Alabama
In a recent layoff - June 2018- I was offered severance for 1 week for every year of service. The company switched to a required purchase of personal vehicle with the paramaters of price (Min 23K) and age on the vehicle (<5 yrs). In compliance with this direction I and other full time employees on the sales force came into line to meet the guidelines. Having been with the company 16 years I always had a company vehicle (benefit reportedly worth $10k for personal use) I had no second vehicle and did not come into compliance to the instituted code until the final month as the timeline had shifted 1 year already. Offering no compensation for the vehicle I was forced to buy 6 months earlier then laid off seems unfair and as no consideration was given I requested the company compensate me in part (5/7 of their portion as described to me of business use) or pay it off outright and they take ownership. Is there any legal precedent which may strengthen my standing? Many other employees in my position accepted the severance and did not question the vehicle purchase.
Thanks

Talk to a lawyer if you feel you have been treated in an illegal manner.

Not much more information you can receive from a discusiion site on what appears to be a complex legal issue with tax ramifications.

Is there any legal precedent which may strengthen my standing?

I doubt it. Nobody put a gun to your head to force you to buy the car. If you went along with this "mandatory" thing because you were afraid of losing your job if you said no, well, you lost your job anyway, so maybe there's a lesson in there someplace.

The car purchase has nothing to do with your layoff unless, of course, you have a written contract that says otherwise.

I doubt it. Nobody put a gun to your head to force you to buy the car. If you went along with this "mandatory" thing because you were afraid of losing your job if you said no, well, you lost your job anyway, so maybe there's a lesson in there someplace.

The car purchase has nothing to do with your layoff unless, of course, you have a written contract that says otherwise.
Thanks

Ha. No Required to buy a personal vehicle to be used for business purpose. Company paid an allowance plus variable expenses to cover business portion of use.

You understand that your employer has no legal obligation to offer you a single penny in severance, correct?

Exactly what do you think the employer has done wrong? Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee but I'm not seeing that.

You understand that your employer has no legal obligation to offer you a single penny in severance, correct?

Exactly what do you think the employer has done wrong? Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee but I'm not seeing that.
I understand severance is not required but there is a reason companies pay it. My question is around the obligation, if any, the company may have based on a requirement placed on condition of employment I enter into a legal contract (based on the expectation of continued employment), then with no fault (the company layoff after10 + years) I am obligated to pay for a car that was bought for the company business based on the companies transition from a fleet (company owned) to a personal ( employee owned with car allowance) with no compensation made in the transition made for benefit lost.
If this program had been in place for the 5 year cycle of a cars term of service I am not sure I have an issue, 6 months since a national conversion from a company fleet, just doesn't appear right. Obviously this is a issue close to me and was looking for perspective.
Thanks

This is a matter between you and your employer. The law does not take a stand either way.
Thanks,
I have asked for relief on the cost of the vehicle and am discussing possible options with them. I was looking for a barometer to gauge my request. You have no without asking!

Back