Keeping daughter on insurance after age 18

Father589

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I am a divorced father.
My daughter, myself, and her mother all live in Michigan, and our settlement agreement is from Michigan.

Per our custody agreement I provide child support and insurance coverage for my daughter. Child support ends at age 18 (only a very few short months away), but insurance does not technically specify an end-date.

My question is this:

My daughter has made questionable (non-medically necessary) medical decisions as a minor that her mother supports, but I do not. I refused that treatment while she's a minor, and while I am still accountable for her.

She and her mother refuse to speak to me or answer my calls. Neither have not spoken to me in several years outside of emails for additional financial assistance, and my daughter refuses any visits or interaction.

If, after my daughter turns 18, and I am no longer required by law to keep her on my insurance, nor formally required to do so per the custody settlement - would my choosing to keep her on my insurance plan beyond age 18 imply my consent and agreement for her medical decisions as a legal adult? Could keeping her on my coverage as an adult imply or impart financial liability for her medical bills to me if she defaults on them while under my insurance?

Once she is an adult, you have no financial liability for her bills unless you sign something that expressly says you are. You are NOT automatically liable for her medical bills just because she is on your insurance. You don't sign an agreement to take responsibility for the bills, you're not responsible for her bills. Insurance or not.

Once she is an adult, you have no financial liability for her bills unless you sign something that expressly says you are. You are NOT automatically liable for her medical bills just because she is on your insurance. You don't sign an agreement to take responsibility for the bills, you're not responsible for her bills. Insurance or not.

Thank you.
I appreciate your help.

... would my choosing to keep her on my insurance plan beyond age 18 imply my consent and agreement for her medical decisions as a legal adult?
@cbg responded insofar as the financial aspect of the question is concerned. I am going to answer insofar as the "consent and agreement" aspect of the question is concerned. Once she is an adult, even if she is on your plan, her medical decisions are hers alone. Her decisions in no way imply "consent" or "agreement" by you. In fact, you have no role in such decisions for her once she is an adult. Your "consent" or "agreement" is irrelevant.

I'm only pointing this out because I suspect that there may be some moral objection(s) to the treatment(s) she is receiving.

Per our custody agreement I provide child support and insurance coverage for my daughter. Child support ends at age 18 (only a very few short months away), but insurance does not technically specify an end-date.

I assume what you meant is that the divorce decree/judgment doesn't say anything about how long you have to continue providing some sort of insurance (probably medical) for your child. Correct? I have no idea what "does not technically specify" might mean.

If, after my daughter turns 18, and I am no longer required by law to keep her on my insurance, nor formally required to do so per the custody settlement - would my choosing to keep her on my insurance plan beyond age 18 imply my consent and agreement for her medical decisions as a legal adult?

This really doesn't appear to be a legal question. Once your child turns 18, your consent or agreement for any medical treatment/procedure is no longer required.

Could keeping her on my coverage as an adult imply or impart financial liability for her medical bills to me if she defaults on them while under my insurance?

No, and what "cbg" wrote is 100% accurate.

I am a divorced father.
My daughter, myself, and her mother all live in Michigan, and our settlement agreement is from Michigan.

My question is this:

My daughter has made questionable (non-medically necessary) medical decisions as a minor that her mother supports, but I do not. I refused that treatment while she's a minor, and while I am still accountable for her.

She and her mother refuse to speak to me or answer my calls. Neither have not spoken to me in several years outside of emails for additional financial assistance, and my daughter refuses any visits or interaction.

If, after my daughter turns 18, and I am no longer required by law to keep her on my insurance, nor formally required to do so per the custody settlement - would my choosing to keep her on my insurance plan beyond age 18 imply my consent and agreement for her medical decisions as a legal adult? Could keeping her on my coverage as an adult imply or impart financial liability for her medical bills to me if she defaults on them while under my insurance?

No. No you don't have any ability to consent or deny consent for her medical treatment if you keep her on your insurance. Also no, you don't have any financial obligation to pay any of her bills that insurance doesn't cover. If you don't want to keep her on your medical insurance after she is 18, don't. Just remove her.

Back