Joint custody question

Qfree

Jurisdiction
Virginia
About a year ago I signed a joint custody agreement with my son's father. However, it is not working out. He has our son Tuesday through Friday and constantly gets him to school late. The principal has even sent a letter home regarding the constant tardiness. My son is also not doing as well as he should in school. My son has told me on numerous occasions that his father doesn't work with him at home. I now would like to granted sole custody. Do I need a lawyer to do this or can I go apply for sole custody and get a court hearing on my own?

About a year ago I signed a joint custody agreement with my son's father. However, it is not working out. He has our son Tuesday through Friday and constantly gets him to school late. The principal has even sent a letter home regarding the constant tardiness. My son is also not doing as well as he should in school. My son has told me on numerous occasions that his father doesn't work with him at home. I now would like to granted sole custody. Do I need a lawyer to do this or can I go apply for sole custody and get a court hearing on my own?

I would get a lawyer if it all possible. You can file it yourself. There are likely forms online for your state. But it doesn't hurt to have a lawyer so you have someone who knows the law.

Have you talked to the father about this? That's what the judge is going to ask I'm sure if you get to court trying to get sole custody. Is this the only issue?

The less agreeable you and the father are, the more you will need a lawyer to assist.
If you can agree on changes then you could possibly use mediation services through the court, without an attorney, and get satisfactory results.

Getting a child to school on a regular basis and ON TIME is something the court wants to ensure is done.

So, ask the school counselor if the school will work with you to file court documents such that custody arrangements are possibly changed.

The judge over your case needs to look at what's happening and can change the current arrangement so the child gets to school on time.

You can talk to a couple local alwyers to gather information on this, or visit the court clerk and file for an emergncy hearing to get emergency custidy so the child's education doesn't suffer.

Take a look at this:

The Effect of Children Missing School on Child Custody Rights
???
>>>

Back