Job offers and employment law

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlh

Here's the deal:

I live in Wisconsin and I was laid off this morning.

As of mid November, I was weighing two job offers. The first would have had me move to DC; the second was an internship that would have me stay in Madison. I preferred to take a couple more math classes to end some unfinished course sequences in my math degree, so I asked the Madison job if they would let me work 30 hours a week for them. They agreed and sent me a revised job offer. I was to start 2 January, work 30 hours a week during the semester, and then work full time until 15 August.

I accepted the Madison job and declined the DC job on 30 November and 1 December, respectively.

On 2 January (Tuesday) I started working at the Madison job.

On 12 January (Thursday) RickW, the person who hired me and the head of the department I was working for, was laid off.

On 16 January (Monday) as I walked in to work I was laid off; it was explained that the project I was working on was being driven by the person who hired me and was no longer a priority for the company.

Now, my work was not the problem; this was made clear by HR this morning. Further, RickW verbally praised my work on Friday 6 January and my immediate supervisor emailed me a compliment on my work (an email I bounced to my home account) on Wed, 11 January.

So, my question: do I have any recourse? Is there any way to get, eg, a $2-5K settlement out of them? I'm not amazingly upset, but I am pissed that I turned down a job offer from a different company. I don't know if this is reflected in the law, but it seems to me that contingent upon good performance, a job offer should guarantee employment for at least 6 months or so. Given the short span of time between job offer and being laid off, I have a very hard time believing that their business situation changed drastically, or that my hiring was not in bad faith.

Thanks for any help / pointers. I'm spending the morning reading WI employment law, but I haven't found anything directly topical.

Also, if there is some basis in the law protecting me, do you recommend just approaching HR and offering to amicably settle this?

Thanks again,

Earl

Legally, you probably do not have much recourse.

You could always contact the DC job and see if the position is still open.

You could apply for unemployment probably, but that's probably it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back