Job Abandonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherHamner

Recently I was terminated under "Job Abandonment", which I feel was a wrongful termination. Here is what happened: I was hired as an hourly associate for a Resort Company, during my employment, I had great attendence and positive standings. I became pregnant and continued to work full time. This last month, my fiance's mother had become terminally ill and was reported a life/death situation. After reporting the situation and the fact that I may have to leave the country, unpaided, to my direct supervisor, he gave the support. Two days later we recieved news that she was taking a turn for the worse and that it was wise to fly over. We booked the tickets on my two days off, before the next schedule had come out, and I advised my supervisor of the situation immediately. That same day, I was called into the director's office and told that I was not approved to go and that it would be fired under job abandonment if I left. I replyed that I wasn't going to alter my plans since I have already recieved the "okay" and booked tickets. During my trip, I had made efforts to call and remind the managers on duty of my situation, which they had no clue, in attempt to do a proper call off - so that it wouldn;t be job abandonment. When I returned they had my last paycheck ready and I was term-ed on my scheduled day off, the day I flew out of the country.

Please advise me if there is something I can combat with, due to my pregnancy, I have no other alternatives for being hired because I'm in my 7th month.

Recently I was terminated under "Job Abandonment", which I feel was a wrongful termination. Here is what happened: I was hired as an hourly associate for a Resort Company, during my employment, I had great attendence and positive standings. I became pregnant and continued to work full time. This last month, my fiance's mother had become terminally ill and was reported a life/death situation. After reporting the situation and the fact that I may have to leave the country, unpaided, to my direct supervisor, he gave the support. Two days later we recieved news that she was taking a turn for the worse and that it was wise to fly over. We booked the tickets on my two days off, before the next schedule had come out, and I advised my supervisor of the situation immediately. That same day, I was called into the director's office and told that I was not approved to go and that it would be fired under job abandonment if I left. I replyed that I wasn't going to alter my plans since I have already recieved the "okay" and booked tickets. During my trip, I had made efforts to call and remind the managers on duty of my situation, which they had no clue, in attempt to do a proper call off - so that it wouldn;t be job abandonment. When I returned they had my last paycheck ready and I was term-ed on my scheduled day off, the day I flew out of the country.

Please advise me if there is something I can combat with, due to my pregnancy, I have no other alternatives for being hired because I'm in my 7th month.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your personal situation did not have to be accomodated. You were told that you did not have approval yet you went anyway.

There was nothing wrongful about your termination, and yes you did abandon your job when you did not show up for your scheduled shift.

Run this by an employment attorney. You may have FMLA protection or state law protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back