Jehovah Witness abuse

amac25248

I am 46. I am a victim of molestation from the age of 14 to 16 years old by the elder of our congregation .From 1983 through 1985. It was covered up... people knew of the abuse but nothing was done. I was threatened for years by my abuser that he would kill me if I ever told. In 2010 he was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison. I could have came forward when he was first sentenced but I thought it was too late. I have recently been reading in the news about people coming forward with sexual abuse claims and how the Organization covered it up. Am I too late?

I am 46. I am a victim of molestation from the age of 14 to 16 years old by the elder of our congregation .From 1983 through 1985. It was covered up... people knew of the abuse but nothing was done. I was threatened for years by my abuser that he would kill me if I ever told. In 2010 he was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison. I could have came forward when he was first sentenced but I thought it was too late. I have recently been reading in the news about people coming forward with sexual abuse claims and how the Organization covered it up. Am I too late?

The alleged perpetrator is imprisoned for life. What more can be done to him now, other than killing him?
If you desire more information, contact the county prosecutor or district attorney and inquire further.

If you think you can prove that there was a systematic coverup by the church's hierarchy, consult a civil attorney that has experience in such claims and see if there is still the possibility of a lawsuit. I suspect that you would have to argue as was done in a recent San Diego case that the coverup is ongoing and that the leadership knows about and continues to cover the abusers. Only an attorney with whom you can discuss the FACTS of your case can give you a realistic appraisal of your chances of prevailing, and how much it might cost you to pursue. (If not taken on contingency by an attorney, you might be looking at $50,000+ on the LOW side of the equation.)

Back