Jane doe

annonymous

If someone is registering for a paid or free online service and they want to be discreet, is it okay if they used a fictitious name even when the website specifically require their first and last name? Will doing this subject the person to criminal/civil liabilities especially if the fake name matches that of a real person? Is it necessary for there to be a match of birth dates as well? Lastly, does using a fake name waive the use of search warrant by law enforcement?

If someone is registering for a paid or free online service and they want to be discreet, is it okay if they used a fictitious name even when the website specifically require their first and last name? Will doing this subject the person to criminal/civil liabilities especially if the fake name matches that of a real person? Is it necessary for there to be a match of birth dates as well? Lastly, does using a fake name waive the use of search warrant by law enforcement?

I suggest you stay away from any website that could cause you trouble.
It isn't a crime to use a name other than the one on your birth certificate, if you aren't using the name for fraudulent purposes.
Authors often use pen names, and actors use stage names, as do musicians.

The website would worry me.
No matter what name you use, you can't deceive the authorities if you break the law.

So long as your fake name is not used for fraudulent transactions, and you are not deliberately trying to impersonate another person, there is no concern.
I rarely provide correct or complete information when filling out that type of info. It is used for marketing purposes and leads to tons of junk mail and unsolicited phone calls.

Every packet of data transmitted by your computer is traceable back to your computer.

However, the OP could say someone else used/must have used the computer. They might not be able to prove it was the OP who signed up for the website/service. No one will probably pursue anyway as long as it wasn't done for fraudulent or illegal purposes.

Last edited:
Back