Issues with CS Enforcement btw WA and TX

RedHawk88

Jurisdiction
Washington
Where to begin - haha. OK so in 2013-ish I started a child support case through DCS to locate my sons father to establish child support. In 2015, we found him in TX (son and I live in WA - and always have. He was born here). As of 2016, there is a current case for PAST support. Despite the request of the State of WA, TX has NOT established a current child support order. One of many 'whoops, we messed up' messages that the Office of the Attorney General in Austin has sent to WA State. So as of December 2017, there is ZERO current support order still.

As for the PAST support order, this amount was negotiated and lowered without my consent - I was not even notified that there was a hearing. So my son gets all of $80 per month for past support with an $8k balance. He will be paying on that for over 8 YEARS. My case should not even BE in TEXAS like this to begin with. I am the custodial parent, and myself nor my son have EVER lived there. Why does he get to show up to hearings in his own city in a case we are both involved in and I don't even get to be able to be there via phone??

My case worker here in WA has been sending them letters every week or so, but that is not doing anything. She doesn't even call me when there is an update. I have to physically go to the office near me and have someone else look through it to get any information - and when I ask for a copy of the information in my case, I can't even get that.

It would be more efficient I would think to go about this myself w/ a lawyer or to at least have someone be able to tell me what is going on/what is supposed to happen, because a lot of this does not make sense. They are telling me that if I go to TX direct for information then my child support case could be cancelled altogether. That can't be legal. I am tired of being walked over and treated like this - I need to know what is going on with my case, and I need to know what to do to make this case happen. 4 years is long enough - the current order needs to be in place and past support changed to match.

I wish I could afford a lawyer - and no one in my area has any ProBono offers, nor any pays scales where I don't have to pay $100 just to talk to someone for 30 min to see if they will take the case period!

QUESTION: What can I do on my own with this, or what can I bring to DCS's attention? The case worker does not want me sending her information and has not called be back in months.

The father is in the middle of a 3 year probation - so not going anywhere...yet. He has NO visitation and NO custody. He does not want it - even when offered. He has his own unregistered small business that he does not claim taxes on. He files as unemployed.

You have to live your life, plan your budget only on the money you earn or receive.

Don't plan on the deadbeat ever paying you anything.

If he pays $10, $50, or $5,000; live only on your money and save the 50¢ or $2.00 the deadbeat sends or the state takes.

Bums like the one that bred you rarely ever pay child support.

You have to live your life, plan your budget only on the money you earn or receive.

Don't plan on the deadbeat ever paying you anything.

If he pays $10, $50, or $5,000; live only on your money and save the 50¢ or $2.00 the deadbeat sends or the state takes.

Bums like the one that bred you rarely ever pay child support.

I don't balance my bills around child support either way, but the point here would be what I can do in the case of the states not getting the case going. I appreciate the comment though :)

I am familiar with the UIFSA however they have the hearings in the non custodial parents state. The case is supposed to reside in the custodial parents state. We have never lived in Texas, and the state was files in Washington. Since it resides here, it is odd that the case is not here like it should be.

No, the order for support may COME from the state where you live, but the support amount and enforcement powers lie with the state where the NCP lives.
How can DCS enforce support if the non-custodial parent lives out of state or in another country?

If the noncustodial parent lives in another state or U.S. territory, DCS can ask the other jurisdiction to establish or enforce a support order. Once the case is sent to another jurisdiction, the other jurisdiction has control over most of the actions taken on the case.
How can DCS enforce support if the non-custodial parent lives out of state or in another country? | DSHS

No, the order for support may COME from the state where you live, but the support amount and enforcement powers lie with the state where the NCP lives.

Even so, your same link says that BOTH are to be party of hearings. No matter where it is at. So your link says Texas is messing up 'again' by not giving me my right to be present at the hearing via at least phone - because they send me no notice at all. They just have the hearing, don't even tell me it is happening, so I get no say.

Any thoughts on this or the main question?

Back