Is this Wrongful Discharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskabob

I was being transferred from one job location to another location. I was not on "The Clock", durning the transfer. I was scheduled to catch a flight from Anchorage, Alaska, to Petersburg, Alaska, with a short stop over in Juneau. I boarded this flight on time, along with the other three (3) employees that were being transferred with me. I had fallen asleep, and when I woke up, I need to use the restroom. I walked to the rear of the plane, and noticed that the flight attendants were buckled in their seats. One flight attendant yelled at me to get back to my seat because we were landing in Juneau. I returned to my seat immediately, without using the restroom. After we landed, the flight attendant came up to me and started yelling at me, and said that he would have to tell the Captain that I was out of my seat. I said a few ugly things to him, and a few moments later, I was ordered off the plane becaue of unruly behavior. I left the plane and was given another ticket to Petersburg for the following morning. I was due to begin work at 7am, but did not arrive until 11:30am. I was told to call my boss, and was advised that I no longer work for the company. Not giving me a reason, for his decision, I assumed it was because I didn't show up with the rest of the crew the day before.
I filed for Unemployement, but was denied. The reason my employer gave was, "Claimant was scheduled to transfer to another location, chose to drink, was to intoxicated to make his flight. One crew member stated that I NEVER got on the plane in Anchorage because I was drunk. That is totally FALSE. I can prove that I was on that flight through Alaska Airlines. I was working under contract, due to expire September 15, 2005. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks

Technically an employer can fire you for any reason. It does not even have to be valid. You can file an appeal for unemployment but there is probably nothing illegal for them firing you.

If unemployment benefits are denied, the file for a hearing. The burden of proof will be on your employer to demonstrate that their statements are accurate. As to your termimation, it was lawful so no, there is nothing you can do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back