Is this legal? Working a tipped position wage and being forced into non-tipped shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

floppedset

OHIO - I work for a well known national pizza chain as a driver. Drivers generally make $5-$6 an hour because it is a tipped position. Minimum wage in Ohio is $7.40. As of the past month, this company has been doing a carry out special and is using mainly drivers as wobble boarders to bring in carryout customers.

I understand if we're slow that it is quite alright for managers to ask drivers to stand out front with the sign in between deliveries to try to bring in customers. However, this is not the case. We are being scheduled to come in specifically to hold the sign for 2 hour shifts, twice in a single day and not driving that day for the most part. Tips are virtually impossible to obtain holding the sign. Moreover, we are frequently told to take the sign to the busiest intersection in town and try to bring in customers from 1/2 mile away.

Is it legal for the company/specific store managers and/or districts to schedule tipped position employees to come in for tasks that are not tipped? I personally am usually scheduled 8-9 hours per week of holding the board and not driving at all on those days.

Yes, it is legal. It is also legal to quit the job and find work somewhere that you are happier with the management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back