Is it worth risking taking my DWI-2 case to trial?

Vostok

Jurisdiction
Texas
Before anything, I would like to say that I've made a terrible judgement call, and gotten behind a wheel of a car after drinking. This would be my second offence in 5.5 years, and has already made a very profound effect on my life to the point that I have decided that I cannot handle drinking responsibly, and have given it up completely - having been 100% sober for 8 months now. However, that's beside the point, so now to my case:

What happened:
I was visiting a different city – Austin, TX, had some drinks, and drove my car. I became lost in unfamiliar place, and looked for the first street to turn off on to interact with my GPS. I made the first right turn I saw, which unfortunately for me happened to be a one-way feeder road. I quickly realized my mistake, and made another first right turn I saw onto another street. A police officer saw me do this, and pulled me over for going the wrong way. At the time I was pulled over, I had an open beer in my car that was half way full and not cold.

The stop:
Officer asked me if I had been drinking, I said I have had a few, so he asked me to step out of the car. I refused all the field sobriety tests, did not blow into the breathalyzer, and did not submit to a blood test. The only evidence the prosecution team has is the video of my interaction with police, and the beer bottle.

The video:
I have to admit, the video does not look good to me. I look intoxicated. I did not stumble, but I can see my body swaying. I was very inconsistent on all of my answers to the questions such as what time did I think it was, and where I was going. I changed my answers more than once, and was not making a lot of sense. My speech also sounds slurred, but it does even when I am sober since English is my second language. It does not look like the video is in my favor at all.

My options:
The prosecutor sunk his heels in, and is offering the following: "DWI-2nd: 2 year probation, $300 fine, complete the two-hour MADD panel, complete recommended counseling (DWI Intervention class), 80 hours of community service, court costs, ignition interlock device for the first year of probation, lose driver's license for the first year of probation, and 8 days in jail as a condition of probation. $1500 per year for 3 years surcharges". Second option is Trial.

I think that a 2nd DWI conviction would be catastrophic to my future career development, because it would be very hard to explain at job interviews why I have two. Jail time is also a deal breaker for me, I do not want to spend any time in jail. However, if I lose my trial, my lawyer had this to say: "if we lost but were still able to obtain probation, the required jail time and fine might be higher. If we were unable to obtain probation after losing at trial, the minimum jail time is 30 days and the maximum is one year. However, I'm confident that we'll still be able to obtain probation even if we lose at trial."

According to my lawyer, with the fact that I drove the wrong way on a street, and a bad video, it would be an uphill battle in court, but can go either way. It has me very concerned. I have some time to decide if I should take the plea deal, or take my chances with a trial jury. Does this sound like a trial-able case?

Thank you in advance.

Your lawyer knows more about your case and more about your chances that anyone here could possible know. Going to court is almost always a roll of the dice. No one can truly predict what will happen.

The problem is THIS is your second DUI.
If you enroll in a drug abuse (yes, alcohol is considered a drug) rehabilitation course, start attending AAA meetings DAILY (and do so through your court date, and throughout probation); it'll help ease the criminal justice pain.

It will also assist in rebuilding your present, as you move towards your future.

You will also need to prepare a succinct, albeit sincere and pithy, apology statement you must present at sentencing.

As the case moves forward, have your lawyer inquire as to if the hereinabove suggestions will help reduce the pain?

Know this, there will also be a severe, immediate, and recurring financial burden (for auto insurance, state SR-22 filings - maybe, as well as a stinging assault upon your FICO score).

Don't scoff, or poo poo the need for assistance in beating this monster that will continue to intrude into your life, unless you seek the help TODAY that will benefit you in a myriad of ways.

If you went into a 60-90 in-patient program, all the better for the sentence a judge will mete out, if you went for a bench trial.

You want the bench trial not to beat the charge. You can't and won't. However, a bench trial will allow your attorney to show how you've gone about rehabilitating yourself, and the strategies you've acquired to limit this exposure in the future.

You do as I suggest, and you'll end up better off in many ways.

Does this sound like a trial-able case?

If I were on the jury I'd find you guilty in a heartbeat.

Multiply me by the 6 or 12 that will sit on your jury who are sick and tired of the constant carnage that drunk drivers wreak in this country. Sure, they will all "say" that they are unbiased. The judge and the lawyers will believe them and you'll be found guilty anyway.

Up to you if you want to roll the dice.

On the plus side, however, declining the plea and standing pat about going to trial may elicit a sweeter plea deal down the line.

Back