Is it legal to punish a 12 year old child in Hong Kong?

Jurisdiction
Other
Hi!
I have a friend in Hong Kong (I live in Sweden), and he gets like punished all the time when he's home... For example, he got some balloons and when his dad saw them he put them really high up in a wall so that the child just can look at them all day long... And he's homosexual, and his dad doesn't like that at all... And he isn't allowed to put passwords on his phone and computer etc, else they will punish him... So every time we've chatted about this we had to delete all the messages in case his dad would see it... And once he had a girlfriend, but his dad didn't like the fact that he had one at age 11 so he punished him long and then forced him to break up with the girl... This just feels so wrong! I have no clue if this is legal or not, but please, someone, help him! And btw PLEASE! He doesn't want me to do this but I really care about him, and this doesn't feel right...

/A sad friend

First of all, this board deals with the laws of the United States, which are not necessarily the same as the laws of Hong Kong or Sweden or any other country.

However, I find it very difficult to believe that any country would have a law making it illegal for a parent to punish their child, or to forbid a 12 year old to have a girlfriend. Children don't make the rules. Parents make the rules.

First of all, this board deals with the laws of the United States, which are not necessarily the same as the laws of Hong Kong or Sweden or any other country.

However, I find it very difficult to believe that any country would have a law making it illegal for a parent to punish their child, or to forbid a 12 year old to have a girlfriend. Children don't make the rules. Parents make the rules.
Right... You could've explained it a bit nicer tho...

Well, parents are allowed to parent and when you ask a question on a forum that is all adults (and at least some parents), you are going to get an answer from a parent/adult point of view.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for this friend. You might learn very quickly that life is not fair and that what you perceive as rude is true advice.

I have a friend in Hong Kong (I live in Sweden), and he gets like punished all the time when he's home.

Does he actually get punished or does he just get "like punished"? If the latter, please explain what "like punished" means and how it is different from "punished."

For example, he got some balloons and when his dad saw them he put them really high up in a wall so that the child just can look at them all day long.

The horror!!!

So every time we've chatted about this we had to delete all the messages in case his dad would see it.

So...you're encouraging this person to hide things from his parents?

I have no clue if this is legal or not, but please, someone, help him!

Help him do what?

What you've described is basic parenting, and you should probably mind your own business.

He doesn't want me to do this but I really care about him, and this doesn't feel right...

Friends honor requests of their friends!

If a friend reveals a confidence or crosses boundaries, he or she may NOT be a friend.

He or she MIGHT be grooming their mark.

Back