Is it Legal to Do This

Status
Not open for further replies.

trieshanikki

The state or country I am talking about is: Indiana

I had been employed for one week at a what i believe is an independently owned restuarant. I did a resume instead of an application and listed my two previous employers...a pizza place and a gas station each for about four months. the first job i left to relocate to another town and the second i left for better employment...but a lottery ticket mishap was blamed on me there....nevertheless my manager decided to keep me there. now the restaurant i was just at fired me today saying i lied on my application..of which i never filled out one aand that i had to be let go. i called to talk to them about it and they said they couldnt tell me where or from whom they were informed of this info. basically they said i stole from a previous job and they had to fire me. is this legal after she had already gotten good references and hired me? she (manager) said she called back to the previous employer to get a second opinion???? and they spoke with someone who said i had stole and was not eligible for rehire due to this....this was six months ago and i never lied on my resume but they told me i was being fired because i lied...not because i "stole" but when i called i was informed that i was being fired for "stealing" at a previous job and they dont hire people with criminal backgrounds or people in my situatiuon...isnt this discrimination even if its an independently owned restaurant?

is this legal after she had already gotten good references and hired me? Yes.

she (manager) said she called back to the previous employer to get a second opinion???? and they spoke with someone who said i had stole and was not eligible for rehire due to this Still legal unless the person your employer spoke to knowingly lied about you.

....this was six months ago and i never lied on my resume but they told me i was being fired because i lied...not because i "stole" but when i called i was informed that i was being fired for "stealing" at a previous job and they dont hire people with criminal backgrounds or people in my situatiuon...isnt this discrimination even if its an independently owned restaurant? This has nothing to do with discrimination laws.

The bottom line is that the employer termininated you because they believe you falsified the reason you left the gas station. They can fire you for that even if you didn't fill out an application for and even if they are mistaken.

What I suggest you do is to contact the gas station manager, NICELY explain what has occured ( he has no obligation to discuss this with you at all so don't cop an attitude) and see if the two of you can come to an understanding on future references that will be provided. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back