is false advertisement against the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreal03

So im suing this company for false advertisement. It said not a selling job, going to company's and displaying a product.

than it turns out to be COMMISSION ONLY job, GOING DOOR TO DOOR.

Is this allowed even with their ads saying otherwise? I have witnesses that were with me too..

should they come and testify? what should our tactics be?

the am ount i want is 1600 (the amount they promised after i quit my job for them)

Is this a logical case?

thanks!!

You don't have much of an argument to make, if any.
It is your responsibility to know the details of a job before you accept it.
You don't have any damages here... nothing to sue for.
Surely the $1600 you want was based upon meeting certain conditions that you probably haven't.
If you want the $1600 then work the job to get what you were promised, and then promptly find yourself a new job that you are happy with.

You don't have much of an argument to make, if any.
It is your responsibility to know the details of a job before you accept it.
You don't have any damages here... nothing to sue for.
Surely the $1600 you want was based upon meeting certain conditions that you probably haven't.
If you want the $1600 then work the job to get what you were promised, and then promptly find yourself a new job that you are happy with.

Well i had to quit my job in order to get this job. Now, heres the thing, we were lied to every day all the way down. Their ads were completly false..Everything the said was a lie, so why is this allowed? Is this not against the
Latham act??

Unreal03 said:
Well i had to quit my job in order to get this job. Now, heres the thing, we were lied to every day all the way down. Their ads were completly false..Everything the said was a lie, so why is this allowed? Is this not against the
Latham act??

Just because something is wrong, doesn't mean it's illegal.

In fact, look at all the lies the government tells.

If you feel you have a case, by all means, unleash the power and fury of Lady Justice!!!

"False advertising" as you refer to here is regarding another type of activity entirely. It does not apply to employment in the scenario you describe.

If you feel you have suffered damages you can certainly take the matter to small claims and convince a judge that you were deceived... but you have a tough argument to make.

You voluntarily left your other job, and it was your responsibility to know the terms of the new job. They very well may have lied to you, but you will have difficulty proving that sufficiently to get $1600.

However- the answer to your question is no, this is not false advertising.

Here's my question - did you quit your other job without calling this place and getting all of the details first? Sounds like that might be the case since you based everything on the ad. If that is true, what made you think you would even get hired? What if you would have quit your job and not gotten on with the new place?

Here's my question - did you quit your other job without calling this place and getting all of the details first? Sounds like that might be the case since you based everything on the ad. If that is true, what made you think you would even get hired? What if you would have quit your job and not gotten on with the new place?

Let me emphasize the situation a little bit more.

I had a job and was also going to this other jobs "training" courses. It was a 5 day course. We were told we are going to be displaying products to company's that were already interested. The 1st 4 days of training were simply elaborating on how to initiate and practice to display the product. Sounds cool so far.

In training they stressed it was not a sales job ( I have several people coming to court to help me prove my point) So with this said, i assume that this company is not lying because why would they? I quit my job on the 5th day of training and thats when they tell us completely opposite.

-door to door sales ( they said it was going to company's ALREADY interested in the product.)
-commision only ( they said it was 1600 to start in writing)
-Selling $2500 dollar vacuums door to door? COMONEEEE, that was not what they said!!
-Tricking us in general, if that is not deceitful practices, than i dont know what is

Its true its my responsibility to know what my job is going to be, but when they are lying to me, and ads that are completely against the job description, why is it my fault? Shouldn't they be held liable for false advertising?

Damages-

Car payments behind
College Tution is now in jeoprody
Rent
Car insurance

I would say you need to contact a local lawyer to handle this. This is going to be a very involved case, and as stated, it may not fall under false advertising.

False advertising laws generally pertain to a product being sold. So if you see an ad for a product, but the product is not as described in the ad that is false advertising. The problem here is they can easily say that once you were hired on, they needed to change you to a different division or area. That is not illegal. It may be un-truthful, but you would have to be the one to prove that was not the case.

I 100% agree that what they did was dirty, but it's not going to be a cut and dry case.

I would say you need to contact a local lawyer to handle this. This is going to be a very involved case, and as stated, it may not fall under false advertising.

False advertising laws generally pertain to a product being sold. So if you see an ad for a product, but the product is not as described in the ad that is false advertising. The problem here is they can easily say that once you were hired on, they needed to change you to a different division or area. That is not illegal. It may be un-truthful, but you would have to be the one to prove that was not the case.

I 100% agree that what they did was dirty, but it's not going to be a cut and dry case.

Ok, so you think i should ask an attorney? Because lawyers arent allowed in small claims

You don't have a small claims case to make.
It seems that you are wanting the $1600 you say they promised, but the problem is that you did not do any work for the company... you quit this job too once you found it involved sales, right? If you didn't do any work, they won't have to pay you a dime.
Maybe they did trick you, but you aren't explaining a situation that is giving you a good position for some sort of civil claim.
It certainly isn't false advertisement, and I can't think of anything else that might fit.

It really seems like you are going to be SOL with this one.

What I'm saying is you would need a lawyer to get anywhere with something like this, but even then you may not be able to sue. Even the $1,600 is probably out of the question since there was probably some stipulation that yo had to work there for a certain period.

Even if you can't go anywhere with this, I would contact that state attorney general and file a complaint. There won't be much that can be done with just your complaint, and maybe not at all, but it does put it on record, and if others complain the same then they might investigate. Again, it may go nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back