Is Employer Liable when WC Denies Claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NitaA

My friend was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. When she told her Employer, they had her file a Workman's Comp Claim. She had not intended to do so as she was being seen by her PPO PCP. The Company insisted.....so she had to have all the tests done by Workers Comp doctors to determine that it was in fact CTS. After incurring all the expenses with the WC doctors, she was told by Work Comp that her claim was being denied. They did not feel her job was the cause of CTS. Since the company insisted she file for Work Comp, do they have any liability for all the expenses incurred for the testing? Her PPO Insurance will not touch it since she was not referred by her PPO PCP.

What does your friend do? Is there a causal connection? If there wasn't, why was she told to file Workman's Comp? I'm not sure why her insurance doesn't cover her treatment, especially a PPO which is usually coverage without need for referrals.

Originally posted by NitaA
My friend was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. When she told her Employer, they had her file a Workman's Comp Claim. She had not intended to do so as she was being seen by her PPO PCP. The Company insisted.....so she had to have all the tests done by Workers Comp doctors to determine that it was in fact CTS. After incurring all the expenses with the WC doctors, she was told by Work Comp that her claim was being denied. They did not feel her job was the cause of CTS. Since the company insisted she file for Work Comp, do they have any liability for all the expenses incurred for the testing? Her PPO Insurance will not touch it since she was not referred by her PPO PCP.

My friend's job includes typing letters and reports on PC, reading medical records and a lot of phone contact. When her Cigna PCP told her that she did not want her to type for two weeks. Management said that if she couldn't type, she couldn't work (even though she had a lot of medical records to read and phones to answer). They sent her home with instructions to file a claim with Workman's Comp which meant she would be required to use the WC doctors. She is diabetic and diabetic neuopathy was being considered by her PCP. The WC doctors made the diagnosis of CTS. But then denied her claim because she didn't do enough repetitive work that would cause CTS. She has since obtained the written statement from management which says she couldn't do her job if she couldn't type. She has also asked for her job description. So she is planning on making an appeal.
Cigna wouldn't cover the WC doctors since they are not member of Cigna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back