Is email communication to defendant's attorney legally binding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel4u

What are the legal limitations of communicating with defendant's attorney via email? To expediate issues, I would like to use email vs snail mail but I don't know if it is legally "binding" (i.e., a request for permission to leave to amend)? Would I email and then follow-up with snail mail?

If you get email answers they can be binding. It's best to follow up with snail mail.

What are the legal limitations of communicating with defendant's attorney via email? To expediate issues, I would like to use email vs snail mail but I don't know if it is legally "binding" (i.e., a request for permission to leave to amend)? Would I email and then follow-up with snail mail?

You do know that opposing counsel does not have to respond to your email requests, right?

In fact, even though state law might allow email communication, some large law firms have policies prohibiting such communication. Thus, the attorney has no say in the matter. The expedited process you seek, might become an unwanted delay or barrier.

So, in answer to your query, you can email anyone you wish, about anything you desire.

Another person (especially opposing counsel) does not have to respond, whether you email them or send them US mail. Unless, of course, it is pursuant to court order or trial procedures.

The court, of course, is not bound by attorney communication or agreement. The court calendar has more to do with the speed at which any litigation proceeds, than does attorney communication.

Are you an attorney, or are you representing yourself in a civil matter, pro se?

Last edited:
I am ProSe. I know that attorney's need to communicate as far as availability/scheduling of hearings, etc., that are not official documents that need to be filed.
I have just received an email from defendan'ts attorney stating that email will be an acceptable form of communication.

I guess my questions are:

can she later state that communication needed to be made via US Mail and didn't receive my emails?

Very often, if I request something from my ex, he just says to speak to his attorney on the matter. I guess I'm assuming now that an email would be just as sufficient as a letter on those matters?

I am ProSe.

I guess my questions are:

can she later state that communication needed to be made via US Mail and didn't receive my emails?

Very often, if I request something from my ex, he just says to speak to his attorney on the matter. I guess I'm assuming now that an email would be just as sufficient as a letter on those matters?

Your former-spouse is wise to not communicate with you.
You would be wise to no longer communicate directly with him.

No one can tell you if email is a sufficient means of communication.
That said, it is entirely up to you.

I, generally avoid any communication with opposing counsel, unless in court.
Perhaps, you should, too.

Otherwise, you might try avoiding court altogether and settling things amicably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back