Is all hope lost?

N3ss@RB

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I'll make this short but detailed.
My husband and I have been legally married for 3 years 3 months and counting. I moved away from home to where he was stationed. He was a Sgt in the military at the time. I had health problems before we married that he was aware of. We had a fight a few months after we married and I ended up with an injured arm. Went through a few casts on it. The police was called by him after he snatched my phone when I was trying to call. I did show them my arm. Ambulance was also called due to me collapsing from panic attack. Later spoke with his 1st Sgt when he walked out on me, took my car, drained my cards. Was told that since I told the er Dr I fell it was nothing they could do. He was also getting out of military within the next 30 days of the talk with his 1st Sgt. His 1st Sgt also came off base to give me a ride to a meeting he mediated for our speration agreement. No septation agreement was done. He was told that a roof over my head and food had to be maintained. I told him I was no longer in the home because I didn't feel safe and wanted to use the money to get back home which was 12 hours away. He paid the rent there instead. He told me he'd give me a bus ticket. My belonging weren't his responsibility. Both our names were on the car. He took it and it was repossessed. He's also had another child with his daughter mom since we haven't been together. The other child was before we married. I also spoke with various member of his chain of command from his 1st Sgt up to a Lt. and Mgsgt. Nothing was done. I've tried contacting him over the years. He ignored me. He just recently contacted me about wanting to take responsibility. I just recently got approved for SSDI after 2.5 years. Have moved around a lot since. No steady living situation. No transportation. No insurance. I mentioned spousal support when we recently talked and he still refused. Even mentioned compensation for therapy on my injured arm that has gotten worse. He refused. He just boasted about his job as a district manager.

My question is, what are my chances of receiving spousal support and how do I proceed if so?

You begin by hiring an attorney and divorcing the brute.

I'm currently saving to pay the expensive retainer fee.

That's your only option as things stand.
He's no longer in the military, so anything available there has disappeared.
From what you've posted, if you may be entitled to SOMETHING (maybe), I wouldn't hold my breath on ever receiving even a portion of that SOMETHING.

Be thankful you're away from that savage.

This might be helpful, OP:
AlabamaLegalHelp.org | A guide to free and low-cost legal aid, assistance & services in Alabama

You can read about DIY divorces.
They are cheap, and easier than you might imagine.
OK. I'll look into it. Apparently he's started the process to file so now I'm just waiting on the paperwork to arrive. Don't with an attorney yesterday. Showed her proof of abuse, physical and financial with him. She advised me to contact her every step of the way and not to sign anything. She's just looking it over pro bono but not representing me because I didn't retain her

OK. I'll look into it. Apparently he's started the process to file so now I'm just waiting on the paperwork to arrive. Don't with an attorney yesterday. Showed her proof of abuse, physical and financial with him. She advised me to contact her every step of the way and not to sign anything. She's just looking it over pro bono but not representing me because I didn't retain her

At least you do have someone capable and willing to help you.

Back