Is agreement via email binding

Nselwonk

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am separated from my wife. We only communicate via email. When we separated, we agreed that a simplified dissolution of marriage would be best and we'd settle our finances amicably.

In negotiating the settlement. My wife agreed that I could keep the entire brokerage account. I agreed to refinance the house into my name only and pay her a cash out from the proceeds. The refi was last week and she was given the lump sum. Four days later (after the 3 day waiting period), she reneged on her end and now wants half of the brokerage amount.

My question is whether that email thread I have is legally binding?

Thanks

I am separated from my wife. We only communicate via email. When we separated, we agreed that a simplified dissolution of marriage would be best and we'd settle our finances amicably.

In negotiating the settlement. My wife agreed that I could keep the entire brokerage account. I agreed to refinance the house into my name only and pay her a cash out from the proceeds. The refi was last week and she was given the lump sum. Four days later (after the 3 day waiting period), she reneged on her end and now wants half of the brokerage amount.

Thanks
How much is in the account? How much is the house worth and how much did she get in cash out?

Do you believe that responders on a private Internet site can definitively say what a judge in your state will decide, or how the judge will rule?

I suggest you speak with an attorney, then retain one, if "lotsa loot" is on the line.

However, you impress me as a person of average or above average intelligence.

Truth just might be that all of us here (myself included) are dumber than a cucumber or pile of donkey scat.

I think you have some insight as to how a judge would rule about an email or text message replacing a signed, dated contract.

Good luck.

The house wasn't sold, not sure I understand the question. I refinanced, took a huge mortgage and gave her half the equity. My question is whether the agreement was binding.

You really, really, as in seriously really need to hire yourself a great, family law attorney.

Just so you know, your spouse can hire an attorney and if you have more loot than she/he does, you'll be paying for hers/his anyway!

The house wasn't sold, not sure I understand the question. I refinanced, took a huge mortgage and gave her half the equity. My question is whether the agreement was binding.

Gracious of you - you gave her (less than) half the equity, while you kept the other (more than) half of the equity PLUS $375k.

Yeah, I can see her not wanting to agree to that.

It is impossible to opine intelligently about the legal effect of a document we've never read on a legal situation about which we have only 99 words of information.

I suggest you retain the services of a local divorce attorney.

In negotiating the settlement. My wife agreed that I could keep the entire brokerage account.

What if she wouldn't have agreed? How much financial power did you wield over her? I'm guessing a lot. If she can show that she was under duress "Take what I give you or get nothing" she'll get half your brokerage account, which she is likely entitled to anyway.

Back