IOU found post-settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoma

I recently found an IOU/promissory note from my wife (now ex-wife) for $6,000. When we separated she wanted her credit card debt paid off and we only had enough community funds at the time to pay off her cc debt and not mine ($6,000). She signed and dated a note that I could deduct the $6k from the subsequent sale of our family home. I forgot about the note when the home was sold six months later and no deduction was taken. We had a contentious financial settlement process that lasted another 2 years and included a forensic accountant. Both of us agreed to the settlement decisions of the forensic accountant - and funds were devided accordingly. My ex was not happy with the final decision which was made a year ago. Fast forward to last month when I found the promissory note. While she can afford to write me a check today - I offered to let her pay me back in any resonable way - she's rejected that and I've filed a claim in Small Claims Court in two weeks. Question - at settlement I signed a doc stating there were no outstanding debts owed - - does that me I lose out automatically? - does it help my case that this was part of our home sale transaction that was completed 2 years prior to the final settlement?

Thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back